Question How much ram can i have on my Dell Optiplex 390 DT

Jun 22, 2022
Hello,

i have a Dell Optiplex 390 DT with the following:

cpu: Intel Core i5-2400

motherboard: DELL 0M5DCD

chipset: Intel H61 (Cougar Point)

ram: DDR3 SDRAM 1333Mhz 1x4 GB

what would be the max possible ram and max ram speed since i can't find it online many say its 8gb ram and some say 16gb ram. And i would maybe add a gpu to my system but which and what psu would i need then?

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, only two slots. And this was early DDR3 days and an OEM system, so I would say that you could add another 4GB stick with certainty. 1333Mhz is likely the max as well. That would be the default limit for the CPU, and I don't believe H61 will support memory overclocking, again even less likely on an OEM board.

I would hesitate to recommend investing anything in this system. But for very light gaming, something like a GT730 would drop right in with no modifications. GT1030 might be too new for the system. and there really isn't much older worth having that would fit in the system.

All comes down to what you have to spend. There are cheap laptops that will outperform this desktop by quite a bit.

Jun 22, 2022
Hi Eximo,

this is just a old desktop i had been gifted with many years ago. i'm just thinking of upgrading this desktop a bit before maybe buying a new pc as this might be cheaper then a whole new pc etc. i'm thinking of using this pc as a small NAS/2nd pc for other things after the upgrades are done. so as i'm reading for the ram max 8gb ram (2x 4gb ram 1333Mhz ram sticks). the psu is 250W so is this enough with a GTX730 added? what would i maybe want to do for a GTX1030? and i maybe want to upgrade the cooler if possible. Would u like to help with my drive problems too? : i have recently purchased a new sata ssd (samsung 870 evo 2.5 inch) to replace the original hard drive it came with because the system is slow because my hard drive runs almost 24/7 at 100% usage wich is bottlenecking my cpu to high usage too but after a few mins-hours it is a little bit better. when i want to turn on my desktop with the ssd to install windows 10 with a bootable usb it doesn't want to boot to the bios after pressing F2 nor does it give the windows 10 setup it just gives a black screen. when i tried it on my 2nd laptop it worked so i could install windows 10 on the ssd. after getting windows 10 on the ssd with my 2nd laptop and putting it back in my desktop it still doesn't want to boot/load to windows 10 and not the bios too it just gives a black screen again. it only boots to windows 10 with the hard drive not even the bios too. Any help for that?

Thanks

Hi Eximo,

this is just a old desktop i had been gifted with many years ago. i'm just thinking of upgrading this desktop a bit before maybe buying a new pc as this might be cheaper then a whole new pc etc. i'm thinking of using this pc as a small NAS/2nd pc for other things after the upgrades are done. so as i'm reading for the ram max 8gb ram (2x 4gb ram 1333Mhz ram sticks). the psu is 250W so is this enough with a GTX730 added? what would i maybe want to do for a GTX1030? and i maybe want to upgrade the cooler if possible. Would u like to help with my drive problems too? : i have recently purchased a new sata ssd (samsung 870 evo 2.5 inch) to replace the original hard drive it came with because the system is slow because my hard drive runs almost 24/7 at 100% usage wich is bottlenecking my cpu to high usage too but after a few mins-hours it is a little bit better. when i want to turn on my desktop with the ssd to install windows 10 with a bootable usb it doesn't want to boot to the bios after pressing F2 nor does it give the windows 10 setup it just gives a black screen. when i tried it on my 2nd laptop it worked so i could install windows 10 on the ssd. after getting windows 10 on the ssd with my 2nd laptop and putting it back in my desktop it still doesn't want to boot/load to windows 10 and not the bios too it just gives a black screen again. it only boots to windows 10 with the hard drive not even the bios too. Any help for that?

Thanks
If you unplug the hdd can you boot to the bios?

Jun 22, 2022
Hello Bob.B,

No it gives a black screen when i try unplugging my hdd to boot to the bios, for some reason when i go to a meeting with other tech hobbyists and try it out on the projector there it works to boot to the bios with hdd plugged in and without. This is all done over hdmi, might this be an issue that it won't show the bios or anything?

Thanks

Hello Bob.B,

No it gives a black screen when i try unplugging my hdd to boot to the bios, for some reason when i go to a meeting with other tech hobbyists and try it out on the projector there it works to boot to the bios with hdd plugged in and without. This is all done over hdmi, might this be an issue that it won't show the bios or anything?

Thanks
I'm going to assume the machine powers on with no hdd attached.

Power down and unplug from the wall.
Remove the bios bat and set it aside.
Go to the store and buy a new bat.
Press and hold the power button on the pc for 15 secs.
Install the new bat.

Power up and test.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hello,

i have a Dell Optiplex 390 DT with the following:

cpu: Intel Core i5-2400

motherboard: DELL 0M5DCD

chipset: Intel H61 (Cougar Point)

ram: DDR3 SDRAM 1333Mhz 1x4 GB

what would be the max possible ram and max ram speed since i can't find it online many say its 8gb ram and some say 16gb ram. And i would maybe add a gpu to my system but which and what psu would i need then?

Thanks

here's something that might make you happy.

a lot of people were able to get their Optiplex 390 to a total of 16gb ram. Although you have to use specific kinds of ram. Most of them also use an i5-2400 just like you.

saw those at the Dell community forums.

well, you don't have to do the same things as those people. If you are on a limited budget, adding another 4gb stick to your pc to make a total of 8gb should be sufficient for light gaming.

__

as for the gpu. I suggest going for a GT 1030, but be sure to buy the GDDR5 version of the GT 1030, avoid the DDR4 version. You can watch the video which will further explain why. Anyway, I own a 1030, and this little guy works even on my antique Q9500 pc (even older than your pc, lol). Should give you 720p gaming on certain games, just be sure to upgrade your total ram to at least 8gb.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a80mtoQklSo

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022
Hi Tac 25,

I've done my research but i'm still a bit confused about the ram. I bought the G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 8GB DDR3 1333MHz ram kit so it should be fine now. I was reccomended a 730 without modification of my psu etc but with a 1030 i would need a diffrent psu i think? What psu would that then be?

Thanks

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
what psu do you have now, and how old? I can't find it on the first post. You need only a 300 watt PSU for a GT 1030. Mine was running at a 250 watt stock psu a year ago - but I don't recommend that you do that. Get at least a 300 watt psu if you're getting a 1030.

the advantage of getting a 1030 is not only for better performance. A 1030 is a 10 series gpu, and still supported with game ready drivers by Nvidia.
700 series gpu like the 730 have stopped receiving support as of August last year - this includes the GT 730.

____

1030 vs 730

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GT-1030-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GT-730/m283726vsm12582

Last edited: