[SOLVED] How much RAM can I RAM into a DIMENSION 4700

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
ok, I am not sure what is going on.

I have a dimension 4700, with 512mb RAM, so obviously I want up upgrade to max.
Box says 4gb. Perfect, I have 4 sticks of 1 gb DDR2

It beeps at me when I put all 4 in.Then I tried two (at various slots, did not matter) still did not work.

I figured out tha 1 stick of 1gb works just fine.
I also have a 512 and 2 256 sticks as well. so I put a 512 and both 256 for a total of 2gb (remember, this will not take 2 sticks of 1gb)

How does the ram work on these old systems? why can I not get the 4gb max using the 4x1gb?

thanks!!

Solution
Im confused by your answer
so I should get 2x2gb?
and why wouldnt 4x1gb do the same thing?
The motherboard has a total of four physical slots for RAM in two pairs of two. Each slot can take a max of 1 GB of RAM, thereby giving you a total of 4GB of RAM. Two sets of this RAM (or some other similar RAM) would be the max you can use.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Im confused by your answer
so I should get 2x2gb?
and why wouldnt 4x1gb do the same thing?
The motherboard has a total of four physical slots for RAM in two pairs of two. Each slot can take a max of 1 GB of RAM, thereby giving you a total of 4GB of RAM. Two sets of this RAM (or some other similar RAM) would be the max you can use.

Solution

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Yes. That is what my OP was about. I have 4x1gb(Samsung) DDR2, each of those SINGLY they work, but put them all in, and they do not. If I put them in as a pair, 1 and 3 slot, still does not work. I even tried 2 and 4 slot (this is just to see if i can get 2gb to work).

so in slots 2,3 and 4 i have 256mb, 256,mb and a 512mb sticks, all DDR2 for a total of 2gb RAM that works.

I think what I iwll do is buy 4 more, as it might be possible that 3 of these sticks (1gb) are bad.

According to what the answers are, I am doing it correctly. 1gb stick per slot. Just that if I put more than one 1gb stick in, it fails

I recently upgraded the bios from A06 to A10 which is the most recent. did not seem to make any difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cheers!!

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
OH MY, do I feel dumb!!!!
So I took a look at the ones that did not work (x3), and found they arePC2 5300U & PC26400U, My guess is I must have collected these over the years and did not put them in the right box for "later use" .

My guess is, the one in the slot is a correct one.

Sorry guys...