[SOLVED] How much RAM do you need for your modem?

Jun 2, 2020
Hello guys,

Need your help, looking to upgrade my internet modem (currently have ARRIS SBG6580). Currently looking at a couple of different options with DOCSIS 3.1 supported. Modems I've looked are more or less the same, when it comes to characteristics, but the one that got me interested is RAM. How much RAM would be the best for a home use?
Mainly, I'm choosing between Netgear CM 1000/1100 and Motorola MB8600. Netgear devices have 256MB of RAM, Moto has 512MB, and also comes more expensive. I'll upgrade to a Gigabit plan, once I get the modem. Internet is mostly used for browsing, playing videogames, I have around 10-12 devices (phones, laptops, Xbox, PC, printer etc) connected at the same time, through a wireless connection via ASUS RT-AC68R router .
Is it worth paying extra $ for Motorola modem, if it has double the RAM? Really appreciate any info on that. Thank you!

Solution
Why not, so you're telling me, there's no difference between 256MB and 512MB? Why have 512MB models at all then?

Maybe it doesn't notice the amount of devices, but I mentioned it to demonstrate the load on a modem/router, maybe that's where that extra RAM comes in handy?
More RAM may make firmware upgrades easier. Or provides benefits to the ISP. Rather than asking random (although usually well informed) people, why not ask Motorola what benefit the extra RAM and extra cost provide. It may have zero do do with end user performance.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
The RAM quantity in the unit isn’t hugely relevant as a purchasing factor imo. It doesn’t care or notice how many devices you have (such as the router) but just pushes packets between mediums.

You can't go wrong with the motorola as it's an arris product
The MB8600 is manufactured by Zoom under the Motorola brand. Still solid, Arris brand their own products nowadays like the SB8200

The MB8600 is manufactured by Zoom under the Motorola brand. Still solid, Arris brand their own products nowadays like the SB8200
Arris pretty much makes all the modems out there now except the netgear ones. Arris bought out a bunch if different companies that bought out a bunch of other companies years ago. They kept some of the brand names, but they're all basically Arris products now.

Jun 2, 2020
The RAM quantity in the unit isn’t hugely relevant as a purchasing factor imo.

Why not, so you're telling me, there's no difference between 256MB and 512MB? Why have 512MB models at all then?
It doesn’t care or notice how many devices you have (such as the router) but just pushes packets between mediums.
Maybe it doesn't notice the amount of devices, but I mentioned it to demonstrate the load on a modem/router, maybe that's where that extra RAM comes in handy?

Jun 2, 2020
Check what the provider has on their approved list. Otherwise the modems should work the same. You can't go wrong with the motorola as it's an arris product and you know how well that works. :)
Bro, I came here prepared, those 3 modems are already from ISP's approved list. That's not the question.

kanewolf

Titan

More RAM may make firmware upgrades easier. Or provides benefits to the ISP. Rather than asking random (although usually well informed) people, why not ask Motorola what benefit the extra RAM and extra cost provide. It may have zero do do with end user performance.

Solution
I think the ram difference may simply come down to firmware design--Netgear figured out a way to squeeze what they need in 256MB, Motorola decided to use 512MB. It's probably largely to do with which components were cheaper at the time as well. Performance wise you won't be able to tell a single bit of difference because once the isp loads their firmware, both modems will work the same.