Question How much ram is unofficially supported by this laptop?

Aug 14, 2022
I have an N53SV i5 version and I was looking fordwar to update my ram and im going insane trying to find out what to buy.
Turns out the maximun ram of the i7 version is officially at 16GB but it goes up to 32GB unofficially as seen on this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBqD2S031c

So now im wondering if I should try to go 16GB for mine (officially max is 8GB in here, has 2 slots, so would be 8GB per stick)

CPU-Z info:

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Model: N53SV
Bus Specs: PCI-Express 2.0 (5.0 GT/s)
Chipset: Intel Sandy Bridge Rev. 09
Southbridge: Intel HM65 Rev. 05

BIOS
American Megatrends Inc.
Version: N53SV.212
Date: 04/07/2011

Anyone knows if it would work? I've read HM65 does support 16GB, im just not sure if the BIOS/MOBO combo will work.

I have an N53SV i5 version and I was looking fordwar to update my ram and im going insane trying to find out what to buy.
Turns out the maximun ram of the i7 version is officially at 16GB but it goes up to 32GB unofficially as seen on this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBqD2S031c

So now im wondering if I should try to go 16GB for mine (officially max is 8GB in here, has 2 slots, so would be 8GB per stick)

CPU-Z info:

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Model: N53SV
Bus Specs: PCI-Express 2.0 (5.0 GT/s)
Chipset: Intel Sandy Bridge Rev. 09
Southbridge: Intel HM65 Rev. 05

BIOS
American Megatrends Inc.
Version: N53SV.212
Date: 04/07/2011

Anyone knows if it would work? I've read HM65 does support 16GB, im just not sure if the BIOS/MOBO combo will work.
Is there more to this model number?
N53SV-????

Aug 14, 2022
Is there more to this model number?
N53SV-????

Not sure, its the i5 dual core version with some geforce GPU

It has only 2 slots but it says 4 slots which is interesting

F1NmzUU.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Figure it's a multi-use platform. Same mobo used in multiple different laptop series, even possibly enterprise use, so it stands a chance that there are actually 4slot varients. Yours happens to be dual slot equipped, but the extra 2 slots will be generically printed before the actual build is stated.

Stick with 16Gb. It's officially supported. Being a Sandy Bridge, it's also pretty ancient by now, so there will be very limited use of extreme ram requirements that also don't include better/faster cpu requirements as well. You won't be running the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator or half a dozen Virtual Machines on it.

It wouldn't really hurt to have 32Gb, unless the topology of the board actually increases latency with such extreme ram amounts. Sandy's are slow enough at this point that anything that possibly reduces performance should be avoided if possible.

Reactions: zetatop and KyaraM
Not sure, its the i5 dual core version with some geforce GPU

It has only 2 slots but it says 4 slots which is interesting

F1NmzUU.jpg
This will give you an idea of why you need the rest of the model number.

Is there a sticker or label on this laptop?

Aug 14, 2022
I decided not to gamble and bought a 4GB stick module. I installed it and it wouldn't boot, I get a black screen, all leds on. The module is this one:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B005LDLV6S/ref=twister_B09B1JBCP6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know what to do. It's supposed to be compatible.

Edit: removed it and added it again, it's now working. Now I will add the SSD. Should be fast enough for what I need. I will just buy another new laptop for more heavy tasks. I mean, Im still curious to see if this could deal with 16GB but I didn't want to gamble.

I would like to know if its running in dual channel tho. Does CPU-Z show this somewhere? It has different latency values to the default ram.

This will give you an idea of why you need the rest of the model number.

Is there a sticker or label on this laptop?

Yeah, the sticker on the back says this:
MODEL: N53S
MB Ver: N53SV ID: 1A
N53SV-XV330V
2011-07

Last edited:
I decided not to gamble and bought a 4GB stick module. I installed it and it wouldn't boot, I get a black screen, all leds on. The module is this one:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B005LDLV6S/ref=twister_B09B1JBCP6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know what to do. It's supposed to be compatible.

Edit: removed it and added it again, it's now working. Now I will add the SSD. Should be fast enough for what I need. I will just buy another new laptop for more heavy tasks. I mean, Im still curious to see if this could deal with 16GB but I didn't want to gamble.

I would like to know if its running in dual channel tho. Does CPU-Z show this somewhere? It has different latency values to the default ram.

Yeah, the sticker on the back says this:
MODEL: N53S
MB Ver: N53SV ID: 1A
N53SV-XV330V
2011-07
Yes cpu z will show dual channel in the memory tab.

Reactions: Karadjgne

TRENDING THREADS