How much RAM should I have for Gaming in 2015

voldore

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
I want to play upcoming games like GTA V, Arkham Knight, etc . I am building a new PC and currently have 8GB of corsair vengeance RAM. I have a 60Hz 1080p BenQ monitor. Is 8GB enough for these games or say future proof...or should I buy an additional 8GB stick?
below are my PC specs:
CPU - core i5 4690k
GPU - Asus NVIDIA Strix GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Motherboard - ASUS Z97-A MOTHERBOARD
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
8GB is enough but if you have the budget might as well go with 16gb to give yourself a little lead way if you can afford it. Some games such as battlefield hardline push the limit to 8gb of ram with high textures. Depends on what games you want to play really. 8GB would work but 16gb will obviously be better and DDR3 is so cheap right now might as well get 16GBs.

manbearpiig

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
8GB is enough but if you have the budget might as well go with 16gb to give yourself a little lead way if you can afford it. Some games such as battlefield hardline push the limit to 8gb of ram with high textures. Depends on what games you want to play really. 8GB would work but 16gb will obviously be better and DDR3 is so cheap right now might as well get 16GBs.

Solution
8GB is not only sufficient but in my opinion preferable, in regard to your specific question. You asked specifically about gaming, and 8GB is the appropriate quantity in 2015.

The next question should then be: "Alright, what frequency then? Will there be huge difference in performance between say 1333Mhz and 1866Mhz?"

The answer to that question is no.

Here is an interesting chart: http://techbuyersguru.com/ramspeedgaming.php

Hope it helps.

voldore

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

Thanks. I get it now. :)