How much should I sell my cyberpower computer for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfredpg

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Here is the link to the receipt of the build: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/orderstatus/receipt.aspx?o=E2L8YV

I purchased this computer 2 1/2 years ago. The total cost was ~2300 including the monitor.

How much should I list this for on eBay/Craigslist? Additionally, I have a 24" Samsung Monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2433, it is now discontinued) that I'd like to sell along with it. I was thinking I'd get the most money if I sold them both together.

One note about the computer: I haven't used the computer for a little under a year. For some reason the CPU cooler has stopped functioning, the fans just won't spin. Is it possible it is because there is a lot of dust in the computer? I obviously plan to clean it all before selling, but I was wondering if it would be worth buying another CPU cooler to sell with it, or just to sell it without one. The HDD now has Windows 7 on it, but it is my school copy so I planned to wipe the HDD so I can use it on another computer. Is it common for these computers to be sold without an OS, or should I just install the Windows Vista that came with it?

Lastly, considering I haven't run the computer in a while, are there any programs or tools that I can use to ensure every piece of hardware is fully functional?

Sorry for the long post :X, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edit: forgot to include that I bought 4GB of Corsair Dominator ram to go with the build.

Solution
unfortunatly computer hardware really dosnt hold its value at all.

what you have to price up is what someone can build with current parts that is the same spec. and ur going to be looking at being able to sell it at about 1/2 to 2/3's of that price.

ur looking at a little more power than the AMD Based Basic gaming computer
http://www.tomshardware.com/system-...at around $500-700 for the entire system IMO.

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
You are better off selling the monitor separately, and for that matter all the parts if you want more money out of it. I would re-install Vista on it if you want to sell the computer as a whole unit.

The value of the whole thing I could't tell you without researching the prices for all the parts.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
unfortunatly computer hardware really dosnt hold its value at all.

what you have to price up is what someone can build with current parts that is the same spec. and ur going to be looking at being able to sell it at about 1/2 to 2/3's of that price.

ur looking at a little more power than the AMD Based Basic gaming computer
http://www.tomshardware.com/system-...at around $500-700 for the entire system IMO.

Solution

alfredpg

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Thanks for the responses.

I had originally considered posting it on Craigslist for $650 including the monitor, so I guess I was in the ballpark. I'm not really computer savvy (hence why I bought the computer prebuilt), so I would not be comfortable taking apart the computer and selling it piece by piece. Also, I'd like to have all the money at once since I plan to upgrade before the year is over.

There are currently no monitors of the model I have up for sale.. so I don't know what to sell it for if I sold it individually?

Lastly, any ideas on how I can diagnose my CPU cooler's problem? And make sure everything is working before selling?

Thanks again

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
on your cpu cooler its prob just a case of replace the fan or heatsink and fan.

the fans can die, it is made worse if there is a large dust build up.

try plugging the CPU fan into another fan power outlet (on ur mobo) to see if it spins. if not, replace it.

alfredpg

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Thanks a lot for the help.

One last question: is there a program similar to memtest to ensure that the rest of my components are fully functioning? Including my PSU, CPU, GPU, Motherboard. I actually intended on keeping the soundcard for my next build.. unless I can find something of similar quality for relatively cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.