How much should i spend on a Gaming PC

May 22, 2018
Hey guys, i wanted to get your opinion on how much money i would need to build a gaming pc that can play most games at around mid graphic setting with a steady 40 FPS, nothing extreme but still good. I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Solution

Assuming you have 650 to spend currently, you can get away with 16gb's of DDR4 3200mhz memory on a Ryzen 5 1600x with a GTX 1060 6gb, faster than what I mentioned above and should do exactly what you want at 60 FPS or greater. I would keep an eye out on pricing while you save you might be able to snag a higher end card for MSRP or under it, I seen a GTX 1070 go for MSRP at 399.99 USD at a best buy last week or something. Pricing on memory should return to normal soon, depending on how the class action lawsuit falls, and GPU pricing should go below MSRP on Nvidia mid and top tear cards since...

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

That can be achieved easily or around 500 USD, a Ryzen 5 1600 GTX 1050 ti 8 or 16gb's 3200mhz memory (depending on how much money is left in the budget) A good quality 450w PSU and a 1 or 2tb hard drive and maybe a small 60gb SSD for the OS.
(edit) Or if your willing to wait a bit pricing on memory and GPU's are starting to fall by quite a bit and you may be able to get much more for 500.

May 22, 2018
Thanks, i figured id start saving now and spend around 650 dollars and that would be a good gaming pc for me, like i said not trying to go crazy overboard, I'm okay with mid graphic settings.

It really depends on exactly what you need. Do you have a monitor? Do you have anything that can be salvaged from your old rig (if you have one)? Do you have any peripherals you intend on reusing (KB, M, etc)? All of that matters. That said, you can build a fairly decent rig for between $500-$600ish or so if you're willing to make some compromises.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I would not waste the money on a 60GB ssd (done that before) but if you install a lot of programs (and some you cant control) EVEN if you put it on a second drive it still uses some C drive space. I would not go less then 120Gb for the SSD.

Personally the best bang for the buck right now is probably https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113514&cm_re=amd_combat_crate-_-19-113-514-_-Product (the amd combat crate bundle) it includes the Ryzen 1600, motherboard, and a nice RX 580 GPU. you would still have to get a case, and so on. though its way faster then what you are wanting probably. but you also didn't say what resolution you wanted to play at.. so if above 1080P you would need a better card then like the 1050 ti and such at least at higher visuals on some games.

But yea the Ryzen 5 1600 or 2600 would be a good starting point and that video card.

(depending on the games you want to play) AND to save costs you could just go with the Ryzen 5 2400G with appropriate motherboard, 3200Mhz ram, and skip the add in video card. it is a nice one to play as an entry level gaming PC.. also save you some on power usage as well.

here is a good start https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FzXPFt (though you could easily go with just 8GB of ram (around $100 for only 8GB of ram). that does not include an case, monitor, mouse, keyboard, or OS. having 16GB of that ram with the APU (the 2400G) is nice so you can max out the onboard vid cache and speed)

May 22, 2018

Yeah, i have speakers and a great touch screen monitor, as well as keyboard and mouse. My old rig is pretty much shit. that's why i plan on upgrading.

Gotcha. Better to ask than to assume. Thanks for the clarification.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Assuming you have 650 to spend currently, you can get away with 16gb's of DDR4 3200mhz memory on a Ryzen 5 1600x with a GTX 1060 6gb, faster than what I mentioned above and should do exactly what you want at 60 FPS or greater. I would keep an eye out on pricing while you save you might be able to snag a higher end card for MSRP or under it, I seen a GTX 1070 go for MSRP at 399.99 USD at a best buy last week or something. Pricing on memory should return to normal soon, depending on how the class action lawsuit falls, and GPU pricing should go below MSRP on Nvidia mid and top tear cards since Ether miners don't want them anymore and most gamers are waiting for 11 series GPU's from Nvidia which will force Nvidia to price the cards lower than MSRP to sell them since the demand isn't up and they have too many cards.

Solution
what you can do right now is use parts picker to look at build prices and parts. with building a gaming pc there are cheap parts and there are bad parts that are not worth ever buying. make sure on the power supply it a good unit. a cheap unit can go boom and kill your whole gaming rig. on buying parts if you have too buy a 256g ssd/m2 drive first...you can add a hard drive for storage latter when you have the funds. with newer mb your better off buying one ram kit and not buying two ram sticks. it start with one 8g stick and try adding another 8g latter on. as ram vendors swap from week to week what ram chips they use your two ram stick may work fine or may not. if you have a local micro center walk in try there headphones for sound and fit. with sound start with the mb sound card if it sounds flat or not sharp then add a 3 party sound card. a lot of the newer sound cards now have headphone amps.

G

I get 35fps on medium 1080 setting with my 7850K+r7 250, 30fps 1080 on lowest setting on battlefront 2.
It started out as just a 7850k with an a68h-e33 that Microcenter through in for free. With 8 gig of ram and an old OEM PSU and HD from a dead system I got back into gaming for just under 200.
The new Ryzen APU's are awesome.
Asking advice on some forums can double the price of what you need in under 5 posts :)

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LwTn6s
This is about the best you can do for just under 650 USD right now, keep in mind that due to crypto currency miners not buying cards anymore the demand is way down and GPU pricing will return to normal fairly soon, and since there is a class action lawsuit against memory manufacturer's Samung, SK-Hynix, and Micron Technology, memory pricing should drop very soon, a 64 gb kit of DDR4 goes for almost 1.5k right now, and good luck finding a 128gb kit. I would wait about a month or two and then check in again we can get you a much better PC for your money.

What are you smoking? A cheap 1060 GB is a near 300 card. 1600x is near 200 and 16GB of memory is 150 for 2400Mhz (which is not ideal for ryzen) or 165 for 3200 . Those 3 parts alone cost 645 and you still need a case, PSU. Motherboard and storage which will run you another 150-200.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I'm not smoking anything, that is what you could get in a few months when pricing drops on memory and GPU's. How about you pay a little more attention before jumping to conclusions like that. The OP doesn't currently have the money so which the OP stated they are going to save it up, by the time the OP has it saved GPU pricing should be at or below MSRP and memory should be normal again because of the class action lawsuit.

That's heavily debatable. Memory prices won't go down unless the manufacturers lose the class action which will take months to years and when new fabs are up and ready you're looking at maybe well into next year. GPU's won't go down until after memory goes down because the price of manufacture doesn't go down for a product you've already made.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I think your misunderstanding why GPU pricing is so high, it isn't because of memory, granted it is a little bit, but it's because of Ether miners, there weren't ASIC miners available for Ether, or similar currencies, because it was mined differently than other coins. GPU's were the fastest thing until very recently due to GPU's having very high bandwidth memory on fairly wide bus's. This caused GPU pricing to soar because Ether miners would buy 10+ cards at a time directly from AMD or Nvidia which depleted reserves of cards and the demand shot up too high for them to manage. Now miners don't want the cards because of how fast Ether miners are compared to GPU's at a much lower cost and a good chunk of gamers aren't buying cards because they want to wait for Nvidia's new GPU's to arrive. I, and many others, expect GPU pricing to drop below MSRP in the next few months because there is very little demand for them. Also, Samsung, SK-Hynix, and Micron will probably start producing more memory before the lawsuit finishes to try and avoid this whole ordeal, and if they don't I don't think it will take as long as you were saying, I've already seen memory prices drop a good bit, 20+ USD on some kits of memory.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I agree, while this thread is off on a tangent, a lot of things are aligning to bring GPU prices down and already Microcenter and other places have been selling some formerly impossible to get GPUs at or near MSRP. That said MSRPs will be higher due to higher memory costs, we know this. But its not adding hundreds to GPU costs, its adding 20 bucks here and there. Memory kits on their own have gotten more reasonable in the past few months as well. There really are no guarantees and its all speculation at this point, but I would say by the end of the summer the crisis will be somewhat over. Just in time for the Nvidia 11xx series to release.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I heard that Nvidia might be waiting until next year to release the 11xx cards, around Q2 2019 I believe, not too sure on that though.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I heard intro at the end of the summer (Aug/Sept) and Founders edition cards in hand late in the year. I'd be surprised if they were not out before Christmas, but who knows really. But the 10xx series is 2 years old already, so it is time based on their normal course of releases.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Well, Nvidia usually releases new cards around, Computex I think? Don't quote me on that, but there is a major event that Nvidia usually releases their cards at or around, and when they do this they usually hype the cards up, which they would have started by now if they were releasing on that schedule this year, and they didn't, which leads me, and even Jayztwocents (My source of info on this currently) thought they will either release off of that schedule or they will release next year since they might be working on bugs or something.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Makes sense, also possibly due to memory costs or yields (it should have GDDR6 onboard). It could have a significant affect on the cost point of the cards and they may want to hit a specific (lower than expected) MSRP. So delaying it would make sense.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Is the GDDR6 confirmed? I heard rumors it may be sporting HBM2 like Titan V is. Also, we can expect a staggered launch, with the 1150's and 1160's coming first, then 1170's and 1180's and TI's being last.

TRENDING THREADS