How much should I spend on a pc speaker set to get quality audio in canada? Do I need a subwoofer 4 no music?

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
I'd like to spend at least 100 canadian at Canada computers. I can spend more if it'll make a difference. Do you think I should spend a bit more to get a good value on quality?

My main delemna is if I should target speakers without sub woofers so I can get more quality sound. My dad won't let me play music. So It's for video games and videos.
Do modern speakers need subwoofers to get a good audio range or will just a left and right speaker for 100+$ be the better buy for my needs?

The guy at best buy says the subwoofer is important for gaming because the bullet sounds come out of the sub woofer.

Solution
The .1 part of 2.1 and 5.1 is the sub woofer. So if you don't want a sub - you're looking at 2.0 or 5.0. Sometimes you will see 5.2 or 7.2 - indicating 2 sub woofers.

As you've noticed, there is some controversy as to which is better quality - analogue or digital lol. Whatever in that regard - I think most everyone would agree that the weak link in sound quality is usually the speakers.
Does your pc have a way to output digital sound - i.e. either spdif or hdmi? Or, are you planning to use the analogue sound output (the line out or the headphone jack)? Also, does your pc have bluetooth?

A digital output would be a higher quality signal than analogue.

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015

I have hdmi on the back io and also on my graphics card. windows 10. No spdif. No bluetooth
do you recommend that I buy it online? I figure the shipping would ofset the price gain with a sub woofer of some sort. And I could try out different speakers in a canada computers or best buy.
would my cpu support hdmi sound? I have an amd 805

Digital output would be higher quality than analog ??

Nah, that's not at at all true in the slightest.

& no you don't need a sub necessarily, the 2.1 sets sets with subs have smaller limited range satellite speakers that don't do low frequency so the sub is needed

There are full range stereo powered speakers that sound great without a sub but they will always be bigger speakers than the 2.1 sets.

What you should buy depends how much room you have for the speakers themselves more than anything else.

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015

Size is not a problem. They could be half the room i wouldnt care. Mostly wondering when I'm in the store. Do I pick the ones that are right and left speaker or the right and left speaker with a sub woofer in the middle. Best buy guy told me I need that sub woofer for bullet sounds but whatever with that if its not true.
Can you show me a picture of the kind of speakers ur talking about. I thought all left right speakers were 2.1? You can have have 5.1 speakers without a sub woofer?
Can you show me a picture of the larger size you're talking about?

The .1 part of 2.1 and 5.1 is the sub woofer. So if you don't want a sub - you're looking at 2.0 or 5.0. Sometimes you will see 5.2 or 7.2 - indicating 2 sub woofers.

As you've noticed, there is some controversy as to which is better quality - analogue or digital lol. Whatever in that regard - I think most everyone would agree that the weak link in sound quality is usually the speakers.

Solution