How much should I spend on my graphics card?

russwasherejr

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I can always upgrade my psu in the future, just didn't have the cash at the moment. I been buying piece by piece. It should be a decent ilttle beast when i'm done.

Thank you for the reply btw. I didn't mean to double post.

russwasherejr

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Sorry to be such a pain but I didn't get much out of that, it pretty much just talked about clock speeds and stuff like that. I don't know exactly what i'm looking for in a gfx card when buying one. I just know spending more money is usually the best route to go so i'm trying to buy a card that will keep me relevant for 3-4 years atleast. I went onto newegg and seen like 3-4 different cards but 2 have the same speeds and the others have completely different. Just not sure what to purchase. I don't wanna pick something up that doesn't fit in my case and/or work with my power supply.

Sorry.

Your case will handle a GPU up to 420mm long, which is essentially EVERYTHING! (So there's no problem there)
Your PSU uses very low quality components and I would never use it. Given that, it has the power and connectors to run a single good GPU.

The review liked all three cards but gave the edge to the MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G. The Gigabyte you mentioned above is also a good choice.

russwasherejr

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I got a gfx card from a friend it's an ICEQ X HD 6850 and I have it installed, I put the red pcie connector to the other red one and when I go to power it on the fan will do a real quick spin and ntohing will load up. If I unplug it and let it sit for a few the computer will turn on. Is this gfx card able to run on my computer? I don't know what i'm doing wrong. Red has to go with red right?

russwasherejr

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
yes it's the iceq version or whatever. The back of the gfx card 6 pin power connector is black. My friend didn't give me any power connector for the card itself. I used the ones with the PSU. The black connecter on the back of the GFX card I plugged a red pci connecter in that says PCI-E and ran that into the back of my PSU (that was also red) and tried turning it on and that was my results it shuts off spins for less than a second. If I unplug everything and try to turn it on the computer turns on...

russwasherejr

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Like i said I tried all the pci-e connectors, and it does it for all. The last thing I tried was powering teh computer on without the PCI connected hooked up the computer turned on and ran, as soon as I inserted the PSU PCI connector to the gfx card the computer shut down.

Then the fault is in the GPU. It may be drawing too much power for the PSU. It may have some internal fault. I would not persist unless it can be shown to work properly in some other system. If you can borrow another GPU from somewhere else and it works in your system, that firmly places the problem with the GPU.

russwasherejr

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Yea I was starting to think the GPU is broke. Just weird how it's trying to run tho. I got $150 right now. I could either purchase a card tomorrow with that or wait till when I get paid friday and purchase a $300+ card. I still need to get a new cooler for my cpu. I bought a hyper 212 plus but it wouldn't fit in my board, it broke so I had to RMA it back to newegg. Was thinking bout purchasing the h100i from corsair (water cooler) it's only $100 and I seen good reviews on it.

russwasherejr

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
the X bracket part that goes in the bottom of the heatsink would lift up really bad and the ends wouldn't even come close to screwing into the mobo bracket. I put it in the middle position as said and every other position, it just wouldn't fit.