Question How much should this setup cool the build

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
So I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 from a FX8350. While still on the FX8350 I upgraded from air cooling (Cryorig h7) to a Corsair H150i pro AIO water cooling. With the AIO the temps of the 8350 were around 20C to maybe 25C while idle, either just monitoring temp or maybe also browsing. Now the ryzen I have on the "Ryzen Balanced Plan" and the idle temps are about 33C give or take 5C. That's when some of the cores are going in and out of sleep mode as I just have Ryzen master and google chrome open.Ambient temp is about 20-22C. On the cooler I have a push-pull configuration. I use corsair ll series fans to pull air into radiator and the fans that came with cooler to push the air into the case from radiator. I also have 3 exhaust fans in the case, 2 on top ,1 in the back of the case. I use a Corsair 570X case and so there is a glass panel in the front where the radiator is and also the mesh screen. So my question is are the temps of the Ryzen 5 3600 idle at around 33C and while stress testing, for a couple minutes, it's around 72C. Are those temps good ?

Also HWMonitor does not show the temp of the CPU so I use Ryzen master but in Ryzen master I don't have a graph showing the "Min" and "Max". After a recent update of HWMonitor it show "Temp Package (Node 0) under the CPU Values. Should both of them be accurate on the temps?

Last edited:
Those temps are normal for a ryzen 3000 series, but you should check your cpu's core voltage. normally the 3000 series chips come by default with voltage set to 1.4 to 1.5v which is insanely high. You can easily adjust it in bios to 1.325v (safest voltage limit for all core boosts). Your temps should drop considerably and your fps will show no hit to performance.

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Those temps are normal for a ryzen 3000 series, but you should check your cpu's core voltage. normally the 3000 series chips come by default with voltage set to 1.4 to 1.5v which is insanely high. You can easily adjust it in bios to 1.325v (safest voltage limit for all core boosts). Your temps should drop considerably and your fps will show no hit to performance.
My voltages are at what you said around 1.4 to even 1.5 but usually around 1.4. I have the balanced plan on so my mhz jump up to 4100-4200 mhz. Now for the voltage how do I lower the voltage, just go straight into bios and change it to 1.325V? Will that also change mhz? I'm on a X570 msi motherboard. Any other settings that I should check/change?

My voltages are at what you said around 1.4 to even 1.5 but usually around 1.4. I have the balanced plan on so my mhz jump up to 4100-4200 mhz. Now for the voltage how do I lower the voltage, just go straight into bios and change it to 1.325V? Will that also change mhz? I'm on a X570 msi motherboard. Any other settings that I should check/change?

Yes, check and change voltage in bios, I set my 3900x to 1.25v at 4.2GHz all cores. I get way better multithreaded performance and barely see any difference in gaming than when compared to default specs.

My multithreaded applications perform much better however. So it's a win-win.

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Yes, check and change voltage in bios, I set my 3900x to 1.25v at 4.2GHz all cores. I get way better multithreaded performance and barely see any difference in gaming than when compared to default specs.

My multithreaded applications perform much better however. So it's a win-win.
I'll check that later. What voltage do you think I should run? How do I know what a good voltage is in my case? Like how can I know if 1.2 is better than 1.3?

I'll check that later. What voltage do you think I should run? How do I know what a good voltage is in my case? Like how can I know if 1.2 is better than 1.3?

First thing to note is the safest core and VID voltageto limit yourself to is 1.325v. As for MHz for all cores. Start at 4100HZ and test it with a few cinebench or prime95 runs to ensure stability. If it's stable and you want to go higher in all core clocks, keep inching up 50MHz each time until your computer starts crashing upon cpu stress testing, then roll back to the last stable. Don't worry if it does crash, your system will still be fine. The only way to break your cpu here is by over volting it.

Watch some jayztwocents, gamersnexus, or der8aur for more in-depth info.