How much slower is my SSD right now? Benchmark

John1988

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
Just did the performance optimization on my 128GB Samsung 830 SSD. Wondering what % speed it's running at compared to advertised speed. I feel it slowing down since I only have around 6GB free space, but it feels very slow now, wondering if it's normal.

SamsungPerformanceBenchmark.jpg

John1988

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
Yes I use CCleaner everyday, run cleaner and the one for registry. I do performance optimization once a week through Samsung Magician. I did secure erase before installing windows 7 on it too.

RealBeast

Titan
You really need to free up some space. Have you moved the paging file to a HDD and turned off system restore? Those will free up a ton of space.

Otherwise you are doing almost everything you can -- the only other thing than moving some programs to another drive would be to get a larger SSD. :)

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
SSDs need a certain amount of free space to perform TRIM operations, which are what open up "free space" on SSDs and allow them to perform like they do.

They slow down as they become more congested, which is what your issue sounds like.

The best solution is to open up quite a bit of space on your SSD, and if possible, make an image, secure erase, than restore the image so you have some actual open space.