[SOLVED] How much space does the entire W10 package use on a SSD?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
By that I mean, how many gigabytes of disk space does win 10 64-bit and all its updates, housekeeping, etc. set aside for itself. Is it static or does it vary per user? I have seen this answer vary from 16GB to as much as 32GB. i.e. - What is the max?

I guess I could just do a clean install on a spare disk and find out, but I wouldn't know if that was all the room it eventually took up or not.

Solution
Windows 10 Increases in Size
The Windows 10 May 2019 update brought some unwelcome news. Microsoft used the update to increase the Windows 10 installation size from 16GB for 32-bit, and 20GB for 64-bit, to 32GB for both versions.

The drastic increase in size relates to an alteration to the Windows 10 update process. Previously, an update would have to wait until there was enough space on the host device to download and install. The Windows 10 May 1903 update permanently reserves 7GB of disk space to ensure future updates can complete without fault.
Most desktop and laptop users will not find the size requirement an issue. But mobile users with limited storage certainly will, especially given the storage on many mobile...

JuhaniPelaa

Commendable
Dec 31, 2019
So windows 10 itself uses arround 8 GB.
Updates vary for different countries but storage needed is arround 20 GB.
For future proof and new versions i recommend at least 25 GB.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Windows 10 Increases in Size
The Windows 10 May 2019 update brought some unwelcome news. Microsoft used the update to increase the Windows 10 installation size from 16GB for 32-bit, and 20GB for 64-bit, to 32GB for both versions.

The drastic increase in size relates to an alteration to the Windows 10 update process. Previously, an update would have to wait until there was enough space on the host device to download and install. The Windows 10 May 1903 update permanently reserves 7GB of disk space to ensure future updates can complete without fault.
Most desktop and laptop users will not find the size requirement an issue. But mobile users with limited storage certainly will, especially given the storage on many mobile devices is near impossible to replace or upgrade.

What does that mean for Windows 10 users using devices with smaller storage?
Unfortunately, you will remain stuck on Windows 10 version 1809 for the remainder of its supported life. That support ends on May 12, 2020. There is also a long-term servicing branch for 1809, delivering bug fixes and security updates until January 2024, and then security fixes only until January 2029.
Given May 2020 is less than a year away already, and users have done nothing wrong, Microsoft should consider offering each extended user support.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
By that I mean, how many gigabytes of disk space does win 10 64-bit and all its updates, housekeeping, etc. set aside for itself. Is it static or does it vary per user? I have seen this answer vary from 16GB to as much as 32GB. i.e. - What is the max?

I guess I could just do a clean install on a spare disk and find out, but I wouldn't know if that was all the room it eventually took up or not.
It depends on the hardware as well.

On my little Asus Transformer with its teeny 32GB eMMC, it is around 11GB.
On a system with more space, more space is consumed.

ANd then pagefile/temp files/hibernation, etc, etc.

In a VirtualBox VM, with almost nothing extra installed (Steam client and one small old game - 164MB), Win 10 Pro consumes around 17GB.
VD8gEnL.png

Now...for an actual usable system, you do not want to go small. Tears will result.
150GB minimum.