How much space on new SSD is needed while cloning?

BG1234

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Pretty new to all this but I can read and follow instructions so I don’t think I’ll have an issue cloning my old HDD to the new SSD.

Currently have a Western Digital HHD 500gb. Unsure of what model at this time as computer is disconnected to be cleaned. It has 176gb free space of that 500gb total.

I am looking at the Samsung Evo 860 250gb to put OS and games on to. Eventually only OS and games will be on the SSD and everything else will be on the HHD.

250gb SSD is priced for $109.99 CAD. I could also get the same SSD with 500gb for around $160 CAD. Would it be worth it to get the 500gb to make the cloning process easier? I just think it would be overkill as only OS and games would eventually be on it.

Solution
For a 250GB SSD, you need the actual consumed space to be below 200GB.
For a 500GB SSD, actual consumed space below 400BG.

Once you get to that number, exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives...

kanewolf

Titan
You have to get the USED space down to around 200GB to clone onto the 250GB because you never want to fill an SSD above 90% full. You have over 300GB on the 500GB disk so you have to go with the 500GB SSD if you don't want to cleanup the HDD.

The issue is if you have a singular partition on your current 500gb drive with 300gb+ used you need an ssd with 300gb+ of space to do a straight clone.

The only way round this is to uninstall stuff to bring the size down or if the majority of stuff (games) is in a steam folder then to copy that folder to an external drive & delete it from the 500gb drive.

You need to bring the total down to around 200gb to clone to a 240gb ssd

Edit - yup what he said

BG1234

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
So clearly the $50-$60 extra would make the process 10x easier and quicker I take it. Without cleaning up my current HHD I would easily be able to clone to a 500gb ssd drive, right?

USAFRet

Titan
For a 250GB SSD, you need the actual consumed space to be below 200GB.
For a 500GB SSD, actual consumed space below 400BG.

Once you get to that number, exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Buy the 500GB. Data has a way of filling up the available space.

Solution