How much SSD in a hybrid?

Ryannn2992

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I've just learned about hybrid drives and how they use both HDD and a small amount SSD to get the best of both worlds. The thing I don't understand is how MUCH of a hybrid drive is SSD? Does it vary?

I'm getting an hp envy 15 in a month or so, and I'm deciding whether to get the 1 TB 5400 RPM Hybrid Drive or just buy a 250 gb SSD (that's all I really need, I a 64 gb thumb stick if I need to make room), however I don't really want to spend another $200 for to replace the default drive-only if it's worth it.

Solution

Hybrid drives generally have around 4 - 8Gb of cache memory. You cannot actually chose to store data here. The hard drive has software that understands that programs that you use the most.

If you open the internet 50 times a...

Hybrid drives generally have around 4 - 8Gb of cache memory. You cannot actually chose to store data here. The hard drive has software that understands that programs that you use the most.

If you open the internet 50 times a day the drive will basically move the internet browser to the SSD portion of the drive and it will become super snappy.

These drives are great if you need a lot of storage but they only boost programs that are obviously less then 4 - 8GG and that are used frequently.

I hope this helps!

Solution

Ryannn2992

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

I couldn't find where to confirm this on seagate's website. On amazon, a user revew says that its only 4 (ctrl+F "4gb" to find the review): http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Hybrid-ST93205620AS-Bare/dp/B003NSBF3C/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1382736870&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+320gb+hybrid

Oh okay, didn't know that. Thanks for that