How much SSD storage do I need for my build?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tweed

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
How much SSD space do I need for my OS, video editing applications, animating applications, graphic design applications, and programming/coding. I'm building my first PC and idk how much these applications will take up, so I need help/advice on how much I should get for my SSD.

Solution

bliq

Distinguished

Not necessarily better, but no real benefit going with two, especially if you're not going to RAID them, and it's cheaper to go with a single drive. The organization can happen in the OS via partitioning if you want to (you don't really need to).

So just a couple changes to the build.

CPU cooler. If you're not overclocking, unless you just really like the look of the AIO cooler, its not going to do anything for you. In fact it's going to make airflow in the case a bit worse. It has to be mounted in the front of the case, so you'll be pulling air in through the rad. This increases a bit of resistance as well as adds a bit of heat to the incoming air. Go with a air cooler and you free up that space for normal intake fans without having to remove drive cages.

Motherboard: If you're not going to be overclocking, you can shave a bit of cash and go with a less expensive board. It'd change out your color theme to a black, white, red theme instead of black, gray and red but it still comes out pretty clean. I think it'd fit well with your video card choice too. You could shave some more costs with a lower priced board, but I know you're going for a theme. Beauty knows no price.

RAM: Simple change out, 4x8GB kit instead of two 2x8GB kits. Better chance of all the chips being binned from the same batch for compatibility reasons plus brings down the price by about $20 while also increasing speed. Win/Win.

Storage: Brought it down to one SSD and one HDD. Like I said above, make your life easier and you can upgrade later on when prices on 1TB or more are cheaper and you actually need the extra storage. But you can of course add as you please. Also upgraded you to a 2TB HDD drive. Video files will start taking up a huge amount of room over time as you do more projects. Like with the SSD, you can of course upgrade over time but the savings had from the RAM would account for the price difference between a 1Tb and a 2TB. Keep in mind, with this case you only have two 3.5 bays. So you have basically 2x3.5, 2x2.5 & 1x3.5, or 4x2.5 drives as your options for storage in this thing. You can also by pass some of this by going to M.2 format drives, but right now they're carrying a $10 price increase for the 500GB Evos.

PSU: With the configuration you had originally, you're only pulling down around 400watts at load. You can save some cash and get a gold rated 550w and be fine. If you intend on going SLI, then look at the higher wattages but theres little point with your config or the one I'll post below.

Case fans: You over bought for the case. Took out the 120mm since it ships with one for the exhaust already.

Custom: Also threw in a 2.5in to 3.5 in adapter. You'll need it to mount your SSD. This one isn't the cheapest but there's a reason. Your case uses drive bay cages. Those things are notorious for not fitting short adapters, so this one "should" have the holes lined up for the posts in the drive cages. This one also has room for 2 SSD's to be mounted, so you're set if you decide to do a 2x 2.5in SSD setup.

You could also shave roughly $200 by going with a 1060 instead of a 1070. It's on par with a 980 as I recall, but much less. And you'd still get the benefit of the hardware acceleration in Adobe products with it. Obviously keep it if your focused on gaming as a strong second to the editing nature of the build.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($143.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.75 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($464.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Inwin 805 BLACK ATX Mid Tower Case ($175.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Fractal Design HF14-BK 118.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Fractal Design HF14-BK 118.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech MX Master Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Other: 2.5in to 3.5in adapter ($12.99)
Total: $1817.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-28 03:31 EDT-0400

Tweed

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Ok thanks azaran. Another reason for having 2 SSDs vs 1 SSD was that having 2 SSDs would make it easier if I had any viruses, it would be easier to uninstall/install things again from what I've read/have been told. For my RAM, I had the longest struggle researching whether to get 4x8GB or 2x(2x8GB). People have said many things, but what made me decide to get 2 kits versus 1 kit, was because a 4x8GB was for a quad channel kit, not a dual channel kit. They referred to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8fhsXqq4o and said this:

"There are probably four RAM slots on your motherboard. The first set of two has one color, the other set of two has another color.
Each colour can accommodate one dual-channel kit (2x8gb, for example).
So if my motherboard has 4 slots, two of them are green, the other two red, I plug my first set of 2x8gb into the green slots, and my second set of 2x8gb into the red slots.
The kits of 2x8gb are designed to work together in dual channel. So if you want to get 32gb / four pieces of RAM, get two kits of 2x8gb. Make sure you install the ones of the same kit into one set of matching slots, and the second kit into the other set of matching slots."

Thats right, your from the Apple world. I don't mean this to be condescending, because I deal with people either switching over from the Apple experience or people who have to work in both worlds on a daily basis. You're overly concerned about the impact of viruses on your system and what you'd have to do if you got one. If you have to do a system wipe due to a virus, you're uninstalling and reinstalling everything. If your reinstalling the boot drive, it doesn't matter if your games and programs are on another drive, you'll have to reload them after reloading the OS for the programs to work. Unless of course you're creating a system image on creation, which will have to be recreated or patched every time you make any change in installations. The only thing having multiple hard drives does is that specific instance is having a place to backup your data when you wipe everything and you're setup with that already with the HDD your picking up. An argument could be made for dealing with Ransomware, but if you're setting up a secondary HDD to store all of your personal data (SSD should only be for OS and programs), then your as protected from that as you can get. However I would strongly recommend setting up a backup drive for important data. Not just for protection from that level of viruses but just as a good precaution against when you have a drive failure at some point in the future.

If you're concerned about virus protection, which you should be its a valid concern, I'd look less at hardware (except a backup, always have a backup) and instead look at a quality antivirus and anti-maleware suite. Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Avira are three of the highest rated products out there. For anti Malware, look at a free version of Malwarebytes for on demand scanning or the paid version so it runs at bootup the same way antivirus does.

Now if your heart is set on multiple SSDs go for it, peace of mind for $143 bucks is a pretty cheap price.

As for the dual channel vs quad channel thing. You have it a bit reversed. Two dual channel kits have a chance to have been from two difference batch creations of the sticks. This means there is a small chance that the two kits may have some slight difference in manufacturing that can cause problems in a board. That's why using two dual channel kits for a quad channel motherboard isn't recommended by people who strive for absolute compatibility. And the same goes for dual channel motherboard boards as well. If you're going to populate all the slots, its best to do it with identical sticks and preferably from the same batch. This way there's less or no chance of the two sets having different properties that the motherboard has to work around. Kits aren't really designed to run dual or triple or quad channel, there's no setting in the RAM stick that says "this must be run in quad not dual". The sticks in the kits are put there because they came out of the same manufacturing batch and so were all created equal. This is what you want from a kit, identical behavior of the sticks. So from a batch of a thousand sticks, they'll put some percentage of them in dual kits, some in quad kits. It's dictated by the market, not some inherent programing in the RAM. This is an over simplification but you get the general idea. That being said, if you want to pick up two dual channel kits instead of a quad, go for it. The likelihood of there actually being a difference in the sticks great enough to cause a problem is pretty damn small if they're bought at the same time. If you were buying one kit today and another 2 years from now, the chances increase. The only real downside to you doing two dual channel kits realistically is it costs more.

As for people going with separate SSDs for OS and games, part of it I'd wager is a hold over from the days when SSD's first hit the market. A 120gig was recommended because thats all you needed for the OS and most normal programs that would benefit from the SSD's speed. And you'd load things that didn't benfit from an SSD on to a HDD. The only thing games befit from the SSD is load time. Performance in the game has little to nothing to do with an SSD. So when you were paying $200 for a 120GB you put the stuff that mattered on it. Also high capacity drives were not prevalent in the market. 120GB was in reach of some people, a 500GB was absurdly priced and 1TB didn't exist. Now you pay $143 for a top end mainstream 500GB drive. Space constraints doesn't matter as much for normal programs, now the file size issues are largely for media files. One season of a 1080p TV show can take up 50GB, file size for photoshop files can easily be a few GB per image, hell just the music collection for some people I know would fill a 500GB drive by themselves.

The other big reason would be paranoia over how many writes to a drive the SSD can do. Again this is a hold over from the early days of SSDs where the paranoia was a little bit earned. With two drives you reduce the amount of writes to one drive by spreading it out between two drives. That's not really a concern with modern drives. The 850 evo is rated to insane levels. If you write 20GB of data to the drive every day, its life expectancy is 93.5 years. Thats not a typo, 93.5 years. If you write 100GB of data to the drive a day its life expectancy is 9.5 years. If you're writing 100GB a day to that drive manually, you better be getting paid enough that you can replace it in less than 10 years. Hell, if you have anything in your computer last 9.5 years without becoming obsolete and being replaced I'd be pretty shocked.

That said, if you micromanage your build, you can may be able to squeeze out a bit of performance in a benchmark by running separate drives. The average person, running a normal setup will never really see this increase in performance. But what they will see is the increase in cost of the build and time lost managing their build and installs. That saved money could be put towards better storage with a higher capacity drive HDD, a backup solution (have I mentioned you should have a backup setup? Because you should have a backup in place) or if they're really in to gaming getting a better monitor, better GPU, better keyboard, better mouse, etc.

This is all of course just my two cents. But I've built a lot of systems in my day in both personal and professional settings. In that time I have spent way, way, too much of my life dealing with complicated and convoluted setups that at the end of the day just succeeded in sucking time better spent on other projects. Its why I really stress the K.I.S.S philosophy; Keep It Simple Stupid.

Solution

bliq

Distinguished

oh my goodness. they said a 4x8GB was a quad channel kit? no. theres not really such thing as a dual channel kit (or a quad channel kit if such a think exists). it's a marketing term. They're just 2 or 4 sticks of RAM in the same packaging. You could buy multiple individual sticks of the RAM in those kits and end up with the same thing (though this is probably more expensive)

the main reason to go 4x8 is because it's cheaper. the different colored pairs of slots are two separate dual channel memory slots. The main reason to go 2x16 is if you think you might want to upgrade in the future.

As for the 2 SSD thing, yeah I suppose it's easier to do a clean install if you have 2 drives. But it's not like you wouldn't need to reinstall all your apps also. To be honest though, I'd suggest not getting caught up in the FUD of viruses driving you to buy two drives. I'd rely on good antivirus and antimalware. I use Bitdefender (the paid one) and MalwareBytes (also the paid one). I've had the same installation of W10 since it came out. I also installed W8.1 just once. good defense apps and a little common sense will most likely keep you safe.

Tweed

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

Thanks for the response. What's your input on whether I should get 1 large SSD or 2 smaller ones for more organization? The SSD I'm looking at is the Samsung 850 EVO and at the moment, the 500GB models are on sale, and if I buy 2, it'll be cheaper than the 1TB model. A friend told me that having separate SSDs allows the OS to, I forgot exactly what he said, something along the lines of like the OS to be mained at 1 SSD. Idk if that made sense or not, I forgot what he said. But a lot of people too have told me just to get 1TB SSD and at this point, I'm not sure who or what to listen to.

bliq

Distinguished

Personally, I'd just get 1 big one but if two smaller ones are cheaper, that would work too.

Tweed

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

What's your reasoning behind your decision? No longer cheaper, pretty much same price 2 smaller SSDs vs 1 larger SSD.

bliq

Distinguished
Another thing to consider- the OS and apps are unlikely to take up an entire 500GB drive so if you're going to keep the OS/apps separate from data, you're limiting yourself to 500GB for data. A single big drive would free you up to use as much unused space for data- perhaps 700GB or more.

One thing if you decide to go with 2 drives- if the motherboard you use has a combination of sata2 and sata3 ports, make sure your SSDs are plugged into the sata3 ports.