Question How much stress will the x16 slot take?

Emil_Meld

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
I would like to know about this because I recently uninstalled a gpu to replace my old one but when I tried to get it out the little realease notch was sort of stuck. I got a bit impatient so I used one hand to hold the notch back and another hand to pull out the card altough it was as if the notch couldnt be fully released so I yanked it out and heard some plastic noise. The card is out and the slot is still there, but is there any chance of damage to the slot though its not been ripped off? my new replacement card is installed and i had to mess a lot with the gpu power cables which makes the card wobble and wiggle uncomfortably. how tough are these slots will they handle stress like this?

Emil_Meld

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
No, these slots can easily "break" under such stress

also if the slot did just a little bit lifted off the motherboard, the pins could be damaged like:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ctors.1829749/#lg=_xfUid-1-1600780196&slide=0

check all contact inside the slot very meticulously
To my eye I really cant see anything. Slot looks fully connected to the board if I look at the soldering. If I look inside the slot at the little golden pins they also look normal. This asus board supposedly has this "safe slot" they claim to be 1.8x stronger than regular but meh idk

To my eye I really cant see anything. Slot looks fully connected to the board if I look at the soldering. If I look inside the slot at the little golden pins they also look normal. This asus board supposedly has this "safe slot" they claim to be 1.8x stronger than regular but meh idk
It's probably a reinforced slot but still suceptible to damage. But in your case it sounds like you may have damaged the plastic clip piece on the end of the slot that retains the GPU. They can be easily cracked and broken off. You don't want it getting caught under the GPU and pushed into something when you put it back in so be sure to check it's functioning normally before you do.

If it's broken and dangling loose then you can remove it; it's not really necessary unless moving the system around.

Reactions: Emil_Meld
Does your new card work properly?
If so, I would not worry.

The key is to secure the output end with screws.
What is the make/model of your case?

If your card is particularly heavy and is hanging down a bit, you might find a support adapter for it.

Emil_Meld

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
the board is the Asus tuf b550 matx. Case is meshify c also micro atx. The card is 2070 super and its quite heavy, though I'm aware this particular one is not the heaviest. I sure hope the screws are enough to keep it there. The card works properly, haven't used it much yet but seems good. I wonder, let's say if I were to just rip it out while the latch is still activated, why is it that the latch has more tension than the whole slot, how come people rip the slot off and not just break the little latching mechanism? That's the reason I thought maybe the slots arent too damn strong which makes me believe that the whole construction is quite weak and not adequate for the huge cards nowadays.