How much stuttering/tearing occours with Vsync?

Jul 8, 2018
With V sync on/ off, I know stuttering and tearing occurs but how unbearable is it. Say you put V sync on and your GPU outputs 50 fps. That will result in your frames being capped to 30. If you have, for example, a gtx1060 with a 60hz monitor and achieve between 40-70 fps, will stuttering and tearing occur so much to the point where it is unpleasant when gaming or is it occasional and easy to ignore?

Solution
Input lag hasn't been the main complaint I've seen. It's hardly ever the issue and people just mention it. It's the stuttering because when it drops to 30fps; it's not a smooth 30fps as if you had limited it to 30hz. It's a constant stutter. Just like the main advantage of free/gsync is the smoothness not the input lag which only relates to higher hz and competitive gamers.
Vysnc is to remove tearing. That is it's purpose. If you are getting tearing with vsync on, then something is wrong. The stuttering is the major disadvantage and results when you go lower than your monitors refresh rate. It is pretty bad but if it's bearable is up to you. I would just lower settings to keep above 60fps so it won't stutter.

Shouldn't see any tearing at all but the sudden halving of frame rate can be perceived as juddering, especially if it cannot maintain 30fps momentarily and abruptly drops to 15fps.

The main complaint with vSync though is the input lag it adds. With your nVidia card you could enable Fast Sync instead for DirectX games, and Triple-buffering for OpenGL games as there is less input lag that way. However some people notice a micro-stutter with that whenever the framerate is less than 2x the refresh rate so YMMV

Input lag hasn't been the main complaint I've seen. It's hardly ever the issue and people just mention it. It's the stuttering because when it drops to 30fps; it's not a smooth 30fps as if you had limited it to 30hz. It's a constant stutter. Just like the main advantage of free/gsync is the smoothness not the input lag which only relates to higher hz and competitive gamers.

Solution