How much time do you think that the LGA 2011-V3 socket has left.

BigLouis1971

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
In te near future I want to build a rendering machine with 4 GPUs. The most affordable way to do that with my available options is with the X99 chipset and the i7-6850K. What I want to know is how much time do I have left until those are discontinued. I had a bad experience with my i7-4790K and Z97 chipset because it was discontinued just about two years after I bought the system. The CPU will last a few more years with OK performance compared to new equipment, but I noticed that motherboards in general last an average of 3 to 4 years before they fail and right now they are not being manufactured. So with luck it will last about two more years. Right now they are scarce and when the mobo fails it won't be easy to get a replacement.

So I wanted to ask here if you have any idea how much does the X99 chipset has left so I don't have the same situation like with the Z97 chipset.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Well, X99 series motherboards launched in Q3 of 2014... since it's been 3 years since the release of X99 and LGA 2011-V3, I would assume that its time is running short.

I honestly wouldn't go Intel at all, and I would rather be looking at Threadripper or a higher end Ryzen 7 CPU instead of Intel. AM4 and TR4 sockets will have upgrades for the long term.

I think Threadripper is a very good recommendation for your case. You get 64 PCIE lanes even on the cheaper 8 core Threadripper. Since you are running 4 GPU's and I bet you may toss in a M.2 drive as well you would have tons of PCIE lanes to work with. Threadripper will be out in 2 weeks so you would be getting into it early instead of at the end of x99. Threadripper really is made for you, budget workstation, high PCIE lane use, with a long upgrade cycle.

BigLouis1971

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Threadripper sounds good even when Cycles render faster with GPUs and my main ineteres is Blender, but 64 PCIe lanes will be quite handy. I read a few months ago about its release, but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. Do you have any ideas about price?

BigLouis1971

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Honestly those prices are too high for my budget because Blender renders faster with GPU than CPU and the money is better invested in video cards than processors. I was browsing newegg.con where they have CPUs and mobos listed with release date of August 10 and the mobo will cost about $350 while the CPU will cost about $550 for a total of about $900 plus about $130 for RAM. I'll be better to spend that money in a GTX 1080Ti rather than new CPU/Mobo/RAM.