[SOLVED] How much time needed to upload a 2GB video file to youtube?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Hi, we have a VERY bad internet plan with 0.72Mbps upload speed, our video files are generally around 700MB to max 2GB depends on the video duration so we plan to limiting video files to max 15min long both in recording and rendering. However this can still result in a larger file size if there is too much action going on in the video. So if you have a better advice about this like bitrate or Movie Studio 15 setting please do tell us, we will be using 720p 10bps (average) 240bps(max) in our video editing software Movie Studio 15, with 25fps in a maximum 15min video.

Our first question if you don't mind: how much time needed to upload a 2GB video file to youtube using a wifi on our phone, we have a very strong connection signal with 5 lines (wifi icon)
Second question: 900MB

We will be using our phone at all night long (9 hours without anyone using it other than us) via youtube application.
We also like to say that ethernet on computer made no real difference as far as we see in our testing

Thank you in advance

Solution
Mbps and MBps being so similar was just asking for abuse - 8 bits in a byte. Its great for advertising stupidly slow plans and make them sound good

I used to have .12 Mbps upload speed. I had no idea how slow I was until I tried to upload my music collection to Google music, it took months but then i wasn't running it every day as it would start at startup and I would pause it, as it chewed up my internet speed. I should have just cancelled the upload but I wanted it up there and was willing to wait. I had no idea I would get faster internet the next year that would upload same amount in a few hours.
700Mb @ 0.72Mbs = 972 seconds or 16.2 minutes
2Gb @ 0.72Mbs= 2,7778 seconds or46 minutes.
900Mb @ 0.72Mbs = 1,250 seconds or 20.8 minutes
Remember that some packets will fail and need to be resent, also that speeds are constantly changing with the load on the servers.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Impossible to say. It depends on too many factors that are outside of your control.

• How busy is the network between you and the YouTube servers?
  • How busy is the YouTube server you're connected to?

Since these two situations are constantly in flux, there is no way to say with any certainty how long it might take.

-Wolf sends

I'd multiply above results by 10, if your plan of 0.72Mbps means "0.72 Mega-bits per second", which means (roughly) 0.072Megabytes per second. So, 700 (megabytes) / 0.072 (megabytes / second) = 9772 seconds.

But you should already have an idea - upload "short" eg 50mb , and time it. Do it now, do it in the morning, do it in the evening, do it at 02:00.

And I'd be really worried about your workflow, if the phone you captured the video on is the only place this video is stored.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mbps and MBps being so similar was just asking for abuse - 8 bits in a byte. Its great for advertising stupidly slow plans and make them sound good

I used to have .12 Mbps upload speed. I had no idea how slow I was until I tried to upload my music collection to Google music, it took months but then i wasn't running it every day as it would start at startup and I would pause it, as it chewed up my internet speed. I should have just cancelled the upload but I wanted it up there and was willing to wait. I had no idea I would get faster internet the next year that would upload same amount in a few hours.

Solution