[SOLVED] How Much To Overclock A GT 1030?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I am getting 20 FPS In RDR 2 When I play in 1080p. It goes upto 40 FPS with 720p.

And of course the 720p in this game looks worse than Gta 3 (No Disrespect to that game), Because of the high amount of jagged edges and blurred textures.

So I was looking forward to overclocking my GT 1030 For extra performance.
My 1030 comes factory overclocked. Model is GT 1030 GDDR5 EXOC GALAX White. The power limit is set to 100% by default.

How much should I overclock and should I touch the core VOLTAGE setting? I'm using MSI Afterburner

Specs:
Core i5 3470
Zebronics H61
12 GB RAM
Cooler Master 450 watt V2 MWE 80+ Bronze
GT 1030

Solution
I would not bother.
Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more. You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.
They try to differentiate by adding cosmetics and fancy coolers which also sell for more.
I do think you get fair value from a modest factory overclocked card.
If you need more performance, then buy a higher tier card in the first place.
I am getting 20 FPS In RDR 2 When I play in 1080p. It goes upto 40 FPS with 720p.

And of course the 720p in this game looks worse than Gta 3 (No Disrespect to that game), Because of the high amount of jagged edges and blurred textures.

So I was looking forward to overclocking my GT 1030 For extra performance.
My 1030 comes factory overclocked. Model is GT 1030 GDDR5 EXOC GALAX White. The power limit is set to 100% by default.

How much should I overclock and should I touch the core VOLTAGE setting? I'm using MSI Afterburner

Specs:
Core i5 3470
Zebronics H61
12 GB RAM
Cooler Master 450 watt V2 MWE 80+ Bronze
GT 1030
well overclocking is a hit and miss, you could try increasing both memclk and coreclk by +10 or +25, without touching the voltage. stress test it to see if it's stable.

I would not bother.
Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more. You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.
They try to differentiate by adding cosmetics and fancy coolers which also sell for more.
I do think you get fair value from a modest factory overclocked card.
If you need more performance, then buy a higher tier card in the first place.

Solution
My opinion to your question is.. not at all.

You won't gain enough to make a noticeable difference. You might gain a few fps, but that's not much considering the wear and tear you are putting on a board that is designed to draw minimal power and dissipate minimal heat.

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
You basically chose the best 1030 out there, maybe 2nd best. Anyway Galax loves their factory overclock, it kills alot of their Hall of Fame cards prematurely. So truth is, it is overclocked! Its already done for you, any more would just be bad for the card.