How much VRAM do I need?

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
I am looking at a GTX 1060, but do not know how much VRAM I need for my games. I play Overwatch, Fortnite, TF2, Minecraft occasionaly, and some Steam games like Rocket League, and GRID. Would 3GB be enough? Thanks!

Solution
There's more difference than vram amount on the 3 and 6gb 1060. The 3gb has a little bit more disabled so is weaker. None of those games are very strenuous and 1080p would be fine on the 3gb but if you want it to last a few years and for future games, you want the 6gb. I have a 3gb and nearly everything maxes vram.
There's more difference than vram amount on the 3 and 6gb 1060. The 3gb has a little bit more disabled so is weaker. None of those games are very strenuous and 1080p would be fine on the 3gb but if you want it to last a few years and for future games, you want the 6gb. I have a 3gb and nearly everything maxes vram.

Solution
At 1080p both the 3gb and 6gb are close enough in performance to be interchangeable. That leaves memory amount as the difference. In most of the games you mentioned, 3gb is enough.

Some games, PUBG for instance, will use a lot of vram if you want to play at the higher settings. So my advice is if you are a ultra settings kind of player, you want the 6gb version. If you don't always need to crank up the settings on the most demanding games then I think you'd be happy with a 3gb model.

The performance being close is why I did end up with the 3gb (also considering the games) and not spending 50% more but I think 10% is enough difference to mention. But now I'm thinking I should have gotten the 6gb to be cheaper in the long run.