[SOLVED] How much VRAM do I need?

Nov 20, 2019
I apologize in advance if this has been answered 1,000 times, and I've just been unable to find the right search terms.

While it seems like there should be some easy-to-find guidelines or rules of thumb for "how much video RAM do I need", I have not been able to find this. I plan to buy a new 3440x1440 monitor (such as the Acer Predator Pbmiphzx, 100Hz), and I want to continue using my current Samsung 1920x1080, 60Hz monitor. I do play games, but not high-end twitch games. I like pretty eye candy, but I certainly don't need that extra edge for FPS games. The Predator would be used for both games and work (via RDP or VNC, if that matters), and the Samsung would be used for things like web browsing. I'd like to pair these with a NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super; these cards apparently all have 8Gb of memory. Will that be sufficient for my needs, or am I better off spending the extra money for a 1080 Ti, or some other card with 11Gb?

Edit: If it matters for the answer, my system has a i7-9700 processor and 16Gb of memory, installed on a ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 motherboard.

Solution
8GB of VRAM should be good for quite a while. A 2070 Super tends to perform quite similar to a 1080 Ti on average (slightly faster in some games, slightly slower in others) even at 4K, and includes some newer hardware features, so I certainly wouldn't pay more for a 1080 Ti.
8GB of VRAM should be good for quite a while. A 2070 Super tends to perform quite similar to a 1080 Ti on average (slightly faster in some games, slightly slower in others) even at 4K, and includes some newer hardware features, so I certainly wouldn't pay more for a 1080 Ti.

Reactions: nkn56
Solution
Nov 20, 2019
Thank you, WildCard999 and cryoburner. You've eased my mind that I should be just fine with "only" 8GB, and so the 2070 Super seems like the way to go.

TRENDING THREADS