[SOLVED] How much vram needed for streaming

sledx1

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
I want to get the new 3090 for streaming and gaming at once. With my 1080 founders edition when I stream to twitch I lose a lot of frames, is that because of vram or is that another issue. I have 32 gb of ram and an i7 9700k oced.

Solution
I want to get the new 3090 for streaming and gaming at once. With my 1080 founders edition when I stream to twitch I lose a lot of frames, is that because of vram or is that another issue. I have 32 gb of ram and an i7 9700k oced.
It's because windows is stupid and has no idea what it is you are trying to do,it has to go with what the software tells it and most of the times software is only set-up to run on it's own.
If you don't want to drop frames you have to limit how much CPU the game can use by limiting the FPS and you have to limit how much the streaming will use by as already mentioned lowering res/quality.

When using nvidia cards you should stream with nvenc which would eliminate CPU usage and you should search for...
Sep 8, 2020
Loss of frames aren't caused only by your hardware (which is really good so you shouldn't really have any problems with the hardware itself), when streaming you need to be sure you have a stable internet connection with enough upload speed to stream at a constant bitrate. You can change the bitrate of your stream in your streaming software, but if you lower it down too much your stream quality will decrease (for example, streaming at 1000 mbps is usually equivalent to a 480p stream)

You can check your upload speed at speedtest.net, if you're streaming a multiplayer game you'll need to "save" some mbps for the game connection to be stable enough, so set it up however you like.

sledx1

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
You should be able to stream with your system.

What is your internet connection?

With what software are you streaming to twitch?

What bitrate?
I have around 500 mbps download and around 20 mbps upload.
Im using streamlabs obs.
I have the video output set to 1080p but the bitrate is 2500.

Sep 8, 2020
I have around 500 mbps download and around 20 mbps upload.
Im using streamlabs obs.
I have the video output set to 1080p but the bitrate is 2500.
You should set it to 720 to see if the frames still drop. 2500 is a good bitrate for 720p at 60 fps. Streamlabs OBS lets you know when the frames drop or when the stream is performing badly, so you should check if it's an encoder problem or something like the CPU usage.

Reactions: Nemesia
It's because windows is stupid and has no idea what it is you are trying to do,it has to go with what the software tells it and most of the times software is only set-up to run on it's own.
If you don't want to drop frames you have to limit how much CPU the game can use by limiting the FPS and you have to limit how much the streaming will use by as already mentioned lowering res/quality.

When using nvidia cards you should stream with nvenc which would eliminate CPU usage and you should search for nvcontainer.exe in task manager and give it the highest priority that way you tell windows that you want this to run at full speed all of the times.

Solution