[SOLVED] how much watt really a mid range pc needs?

Jan 9, 2019
I'm bit confuse while choosing a psu.
my setup
r5 1600
gigabytes b450
corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 8gb 3000mhz
sapphire nitro+ rx580 8gb
500gb hhd
120gb ssd
gaming mouse and keyboard
LG 24 inch led
load wattage 385 watts

which psu is better for me corsair vs550 or cx500

Solution
I much prefer eXtreme Outer Vision's PSU calc, which says 407W min / 457w recommended and also gives a nice breakdown of the per-rail recommendations.

One thing to consider, that PC workloads are a combination of real and apparent power - even when the power supplied to the board is DC voltage, the apparent power is still there with a phase angle of zero - is why the large majority of power supplies are 80+ rated, to overcome the load to the AC network it is placed upon. Sudden changes in the load during high workloads create spikes of power demand, and very difficult to detect with typical consumer-grade wattmeters that have very low resolution and cannot see these spikes. /rant

Between those two units, the CX500 (the newer...
I much prefer eXtreme Outer Vision's PSU calc, which says 407W min / 457w recommended and also gives a nice breakdown of the per-rail recommendations.

One thing to consider, that PC workloads are a combination of real and apparent power - even when the power supplied to the board is DC voltage, the apparent power is still there with a phase angle of zero - is why the large majority of power supplies are 80+ rated, to overcome the load to the AC network it is placed upon. Sudden changes in the load during high workloads create spikes of power demand, and very difficult to detect with typical consumer-grade wattmeters that have very low resolution and cannot see these spikes. /rant

Between those two units, the CX500 (the newer gray-label) or higher would be a much better choice - the VS series are a bit too budget-orientated for my liking.

Solution