How much Watt?

mattie4life

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
Hello,

I'd like to ask all of you the question of how much watt my PSU is supposed to have. I currently have a 600W but since some conversations with my friends I've become uncertain and now I'm here, asking for your help. Thank you in advance.

Specs:

Processor: i7-7700K
Motherboard: Gigabyte-270X-Gaming
RAM: 2x8GB 3000mhz Vengeance
SSD: Kingston 120GB
HDD: WD Red 4TB
Graphics card: (GTX 1080Ti, which hasn't been bought yet because it's expensive.)

Solution
Which PSU do you have specifically?

Wattage is not everything - the quality of the components inside the PSU are what matters most.

For most of the system, the appropriate Amps on the 12V rail is the main focus. Poor quality units have excessinve amounts on the 5V rail etc, that just aren't used as much in 2017.

You've got a 91W TDP CPU, 250W GPU planned, probably 50W max for the balance.

*Technically*, a great quality 400W unit could do it.... but you'd want some headroom for overclocking and to operate within the efficiency curve.

A quality 550W would be more than capable. If your "600W" is of good quality, you might be fine..... but with the abundance of junk units on the market that outright lie about their output...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which PSU do you have specifically?

Wattage is not everything - the quality of the components inside the PSU are what matters most.

For most of the system, the appropriate Amps on the 12V rail is the main focus. Poor quality units have excessinve amounts on the 5V rail etc, that just aren't used as much in 2017.

You've got a 91W TDP CPU, 250W GPU planned, probably 50W max for the balance.

*Technically*, a great quality 400W unit could do it.... but you'd want some headroom for overclocking and to operate within the efficiency curve.

A quality 550W would be more than capable. If your "600W" is of good quality, you might be fine..... but with the abundance of junk units on the market that outright lie about their output capabilities, knowing the wattage only isn't enough to give you an answer.

Solution

mattie4life

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016

I currently have a Cooler Master 600W V.2 installed. I don't know if that is one of the good quality PSU's as I have a basic understanding of computers and how they function.

iamacow

Admirable
Your system will pull max 450watt under load overclocked. Most likely around 330 at stock playing games. Heck I got two 1080 Tis in one of my computers only pulling 567 from the wall. That is the whole computer+ 20% from Bronze PSU. So really its like 453 watts the system is actually using.