How much wattage does my PC need?

Sassii

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
At the moment I'm using a Corsair VS550 with obviously 550W.

My Specs:
Mainboard: MSI Z97-G43, Intel Z97
Graphiccard: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (2x 8GB)
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790, 4x 3.60GHz | HD 4600
PSU (atm): 550W - Corsair VS Series

If you think that it should be enough, it isn't. Since No Man's Sky came out I had trouble. The pc would just randomly shut down. In the Event Viewer I now found Event 41 -> critical. the PSU doesn't give enough power I guess.(other forums told the same).

Hope someone can tell me how much WATT I need. Maybe even a suggestion?(care tho I need the exact same cable-connections[would be nice]).

Thanks for any advise!

Solution
try using a website like PCPartpicker to input your components and you will get a power consumption figure.
try going for a Corsair CX or CMx series instead of VS.
Be very careful of Corsair, their prior range of CX PSU's and current range of VS are poor quality units. The new range of CXM are much better quality. Generally I would avoid Corsair PSU's as something from a company like Seasonic or XFX usually offer better quality for a price

Sassii

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

What would you get if you were in my position? and will place be a problem? are those other PSU's bigger?

Sassii

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Well my old(Corsair VS550) was delivered within my order[built-in] from mif.de. so basically from germany, but im ordering my pc parts on a swiss website(digitec) they offer german PSU's.

EDIT: What do you think of the Seasonic Prime (750W) do you think it could replace the corsair I have?

Sassii

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Changing a PSU is easy, just be patient and don't pull on the wires, if it's stuck find out why. If you take your time I'm sure you wont have any problems. Only the correct plugs will fit any socket so the worst that can happen is you forget to plug something in. If you get stuck just come back to Toms and start a new thread

Sassii

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Can you give me a direct link to pcpartpicker where I can see how much wattage it would suggest me?

frank_hnd

Honorable

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Sassii

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

I'm still worried that it wont work(I dont really know how PSU's are built but is it guaranteed that when I buy the Seasonic PRIME that I can simply just unplug the old(Corsair VS550) and plug the new one(Seasonic PRIME 750W)?

Selfreply: Just checked it both use ATX as form factor