Question How much wattage would I need for these parts?

May 10, 2019
So my psu broke and I need to know how much wattage I would need.
I think my mobo went out too so I need a little overhead for the potential change/upgrade.
Current specs:
CPU: AMD A10-6800k 4Gh
GPU: ASUS R9 270x DirectCU OC 2GB
MOBO: AsRock something...have no idea
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
RAM: no idea 8 GB (2×4GB)
This is a prebuilt pc hence I don't know all the parts, and I can't really check since the pc isn't starting.

I would say any decent HIGH quality 500-550 Watts PSU might do the job for your PC, imo.

For a system using a single Reference Design Radeon R9 270X graphics card, AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater, and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019
I would say any decent HIGH quality 500-550 Watts PSU might do the job for your PC, imo.

For a system using a single Reference Design Radeon R9 270X graphics card, AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater, and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
And if I add a ryzen 5 2600 and 16 gb vengeance lpx? Pc part picker estimates 319 wattage

The main variable will be your graphics card.
I found this chart to be helpful.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
It suggests 500w for a R9270X.

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Of more importance is to buy a quality psu.
I would look to the Seasonic focus,
Here is one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151203