Question How Much Will I Benifit By Upgrading to This RAM/Memory

SteveWonda

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
First I'd like to say hello to everyone! I just signed up 2 minutes ago. But I've been here many, many times over the past 10 or so years when Googling for computer issue fixes. I never needed to sign up because I always found my solution quickly. Well I'm here now.

My question isn't a big one or even an issue really. I recently picked up an HP Pavilion g7-1167dx laptop in excellent condition but in need of a new hard drive. I threw an SSD in it and I'm very impressed with it seeing as I only have $60 total into it($30 for laptop, $30 for SSD). This has the stock 4GB memory module in it. I can purchase a like new 8GB kit for $20. I would have already grabbed it but it's of lower speed, although it looks like the latency is better. I know I'm doubling GB, but is the lower speed going to make it not that noticeable? Or are they not compatible at all? I'm simply looking for some honest answers/info...or really go to work on me and school me a lot. I like hearing what you intelligent guys & gals have to say. Thanks in advance.

My laptop(only thing not original is the Kingston Q500 240GB SSD I installed in it and it's now on Win 10): https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02880006#AbT0
Memory kit I can get for $20: https://newlondon.craigslist.org/sop/d/norwich-crucial-8gb-sodimm-notebook/6794027476.html
Specs/Info listed on my single 4GB memory module:
MT16JSF51264HZ-1G4D1
4GB 2RX8 PC3-10600S-9-11-FP

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
Hi there, Is your CPU the same as this one???

HP Pavilion
AMD
TypePhenom II
ModelP960
Frequency1.80 GHz
Cores:Quad-core (4 Core)
Cache:2 MB

If so,
Kingston Q500 240GB SSD is a good overall booster for the laptop. Good, rather cheap and reliable decision.
Well, with your SSD, obtaining 8Gb in total anyway would take your laptop to the top of it's limits i suppose, and'll be a better choice inspite of the fact that memory is slower, but make sure it's fully compatible with your overall sys specs. Better take it for a test if you have such an option. You can ask about the possibility of it even the seller if the shipping is not overseas of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveWonda

SteveWonda

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi there, Is your CPU the same as this one???

HP Pavilion
AMD
TypePhenom II
ModelP960
Frequency1.80 GHz
Cores:Quad-core (4 Core)
Cache:2 MB

If so,
Kingston Q500 240GB SSD is a good overall booster for the laptop. Good, rather cheap and reliable decision.
Well, with your SSD, obtaining 8Gb in total anyway would take your laptop to the top of it's limits i suppose, and'll be a better choice inspite of the fact that memory is slower, but make sure it's fully compatible with your overall sys specs. Better take it for a test if you have such an option. You can ask about the possibility of it even the seller if the shipping is not overseas of course.
Yes those are my specs. That Phenom quad core paired with the SSD I put in makes it pretty quick now as is. The seller with the memory kit is only about a 5 minute drive from me. I've bought like new gear from him before. I'm just going to go for it and grab them. I'm sure they'll help some. Since they come in the packaging like new I can always resell them on eBay if I don't feel they do much and actually make a few bucks at the same time. Thanks for the replies @Garry423

Oh yeah. The Kingston Q500 240GB SSDs were on sale for $29.99 each at TigerDirect and I had a $10 promo code on an order over $100 so I bought 4 of them bringging the price down to about $29. after tax. I have 3 left to find uses for now. I am starting a build in a Corsair Spec-06 so a few of these should come in handy.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
There is no substitute for more RAM when you need it.
  • RAM: 25-50GB/s bandwidth, 10ns access time
  • NVMe SSD: 4GB/s bandwidth, 10-100us access time
  • SATA SSD: 500MB/s bandwidth, 100us-1ms access time
  • HDD: 50-200MB/s bandwidth, 5-15ms access time

If you are low on RAM and start hitting the swapfile on a regular basis, losing 1ns in RAM latency is nothing compared to losing 10us-15ms (10k-10M times longer) to NVMe-HDD access time and having to wait 6-500 times longer beyond that for data to reach the CPU. Being able to put more RAM in my PC to avoid the swapfile as much as possible was the primary upgrade motivation for all of my PC upgrades.

Reactions: SteveWonda