How much will I have to overclock my CPU to get decent performance?

Merriness

Reputable
May 20, 2015
I have an Asus R9 290 Directcu ii OC edition with an AMD A10-7850k clocked at 4.4GHz. I know my GPU is bottlenecked so to what extent should I overclock my CPU to get a good amount of performance? I have a gigabyte f2a88x up4 motherboard and 8GB of RAM and a CM Seidon 120M water cooler for my APU.

Solution
You're about at the max OC right now, aren't you? There's not much hope of the A10 keeping up with the R9-290 at any achievable speed. I have the GPU-less version of that processor; the Athlon X4 860K @ 4.2 GHz. It has trouble keeping up with my R9-280 and GTX 960 FTW in some games. CPU @ 100% usage, GPU far less. In single player mode, the CPU can keep up, but online gaming puts more stress on the CPU because it has more to do than just execute the game code.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You're about at the max OC right now, aren't you? There's not much hope of the A10 keeping up with the R9-290 at any achievable speed. I have the GPU-less version of that processor; the Athlon X4 860K @ 4.2 GHz. It has trouble keeping up with my R9-280 and GTX 960 FTW in some games. CPU @ 100% usage, GPU far less. In single player mode, the CPU can keep up, but online gaming puts more stress on the CPU because it has more to do than just execute the game code.

Solution