[SOLVED] How much will lower than recommended upstream power affect my latency/ping?

Mar 11, 2020
I'm having an odd issue with my latency on my Xbox One. I get between 14-20 ms ping on speed tests and in games on my PC but my Xbox gets 60 ms or higher(both hard wired and using an IPv6 connection/cables) and when I play Apex Legends I have moments where my game will seem to freeze and stutter erratically to the point where I will be dead suddenly or items that I visibly saw my character pickup and equip will be gone from my inventory a few moments later. I assumed I just had an issue with how I set my network up but when I try a direct connection to my modem from my Xbox the problem persists. I've tried trouble shooting this with Xfinity my ISP but they found nothing and suggested I call Arris to ask them to troubleshoot my brand new sb8200 3.1 modem. Everything looked good to them except my Upstream power which was 40-41 dBmV and Arris recommends between 45-50 dBmV for upstream. Would this make a noticable difference? I was under the impression that between 38-51 was fine and I had an Xfinity technician come out and he said Arris was full of it since that small amount wouldn't make a difference. He ended up replacing some wiring and did some tests/troubleshooting and my other numbers got slightly better but my ping issue is still the same. After he left I tried finding a faster dns server for me but only found one that was slightly faster and it had a negligible effect.

I know I'm kind of at the mercy of location and many other factors but what's hanging me up is that on PC my ping is fine. Of course a difference of 40 ms shouldn't make a world of difference but I feel there's something amiss. Any insight or ideas would be appreciated 😁

Solution
IPv6 many times uses different routers in the internet. It is not as well supported so many times it follows a different path than IPv4 traffic. The ping times are many times different, most people report higher but sometime it might be lower.

In would be better if both device saw the problem because then you could be sure it was the network. The PC also tends to have many more tools for trouble shooting.

Key it to find out what is different between the 2 devices.

Still difference in latency tend to be testing issues. Thing like cables/routers/modems etc those cause packet loss not delays. That said your symptoms in game do appear to be packet loss. Delays to cause issues have to be very large and vary a lot from...
Problems with the signals levels generally cause packet loss not increase in latency. Latency increase is generally data being buffered someplace.

The upstream level is controlled by the central equipment. If it is having trouble hearing your modem it tells it to transmit at a higher level. Have a low number I can't see is a problem. In general if you have a cable issue you see low power levels in the download side and high levels in the upload side.

You can see how many errors you are getting, uncorrected errors means packet loss.

Reactions: Willcollins40
Mar 11, 2020
Problems with the signals levels generally cause packet loss not increase in latency. Latency increase is generally data being buffered someplace.

The upstream level is controlled by the central equipment. If it is having trouble hearing your modem it tells it to transmit at a higher level. Have a low number I can't see is a problem. In general if you have a cable issue you see low power levels in the download side and high levels in the upload side.

You can see how many errors you are getting, uncorrected errors means packet loss.

I don't seem to be having any uncorrectables thought when I just ran another test on my Xbox I had 1% packet loss as well as 40 mbps speeds instead of 120 on my PC. I just noticed that my Upstream power dropped some since the technician has been out. I know you said it should be the other way around but I'm just trying to give extra information hoping something makes sense.

The modem can't tell if it is your xbox or your pc doing tests so if that continues it has to be the xbox itself causing it. To the modem it thinks all the traffic is actually coming from your router.

Make sure you are testing to the exact same speedtest site. Also make sure ipv6 is turned off in both devices.

I would test them on the same ethernet cable just to be sure but I doubt it will make much difference.

Mar 11, 2020
There was an issue with my ISP earlier which is why I was having problems. I disabled IPv6 and tried that but still the same issue persists. I tried the two different cables just to make sure I didn't somehow pick the bad one to test. I'm curious why disabling IPv6 would help since I think the Xbox One is optimized for it (just because I like to learn)?

IPv6 many times uses different routers in the internet. It is not as well supported so many times it follows a different path than IPv4 traffic. The ping times are many times different, most people report higher but sometime it might be lower.

In would be better if both device saw the problem because then you could be sure it was the network. The PC also tends to have many more tools for trouble shooting.

Key it to find out what is different between the 2 devices.

Still difference in latency tend to be testing issues. Thing like cables/routers/modems etc those cause packet loss not delays. That said your symptoms in game do appear to be packet loss. Delays to cause issues have to be very large and vary a lot from packet to packet.

I would very carefully see what ip addresses the xbox is using and see if you can things like ping on the pc to see problems.

Solution