How much will my FPS increase?

LordOfLoserz

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Hello guys, quick question. I have a AMD FX 6200 processor, together with a AMD 290x. If i upgrademy cpu, to something like a Intel Core i5-4690K, what kind of FPS increase can i expect in games like Fallout 4, GTA5 and The Witcher? :)

Solution

I beg to differ. Performance per thread is way better on 4790k. You are right about games not requiring too many threads. What they do need, are FAST threads. And FX6200 is way below stock 4790k, let alone overclocked.

You can have 50% CPU usage and still be bottlenecked by the CPU. Scenario: game uses only 2 cores, and they are both maxed, while the remaining cores sit idle. In that case, faster cores would improve FPS.

GTA V barely reaches 50% cpu usage on Ultra settings with me with a 1070 on 1440p. It'll be a long time before games need six cores and more than 3.8ghz per core, even with DX12, and the i5 4790k is not even that much of an upgrade from an FX 6200. The r9 290x is basically a 1080/1440p card and it'd be overkill with a super-powerful CPU in my opinion.

I beg to differ. Performance per thread is way better on 4790k. You are right about games not requiring too many threads. What they do need, are FAST threads. And FX6200 is way below stock 4790k, let alone overclocked.

You can have 50% CPU usage and still be bottlenecked by the CPU. Scenario: game uses only 2 cores, and they are both maxed, while the remaining cores sit idle. In that case, faster cores would improve FPS.

Solution