[SOLVED] How much will this upgrade help my performance?

apollosoccer99

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
I currently have a pentium g4560 and am thinking about upgrading to a i5 8400. Current graphics card is a 1050 ti. Would it be a big step up in performance or is it not worth it? Along with the cpu i'll be buying a new motherboard to support it. Currently have a MSI H110M and upgrading it to a B360M BAZOOKA.

Solution
Yes, it really does. There's absolutely no point in double upgrade. If going from his current cpu to 9th gen, better to bite the bullet and go all out, or not at all. There's very few mobo's really capable of exploiting the 9900k, the rest either don't have the VRM's to handle it, or the EPS power necessary. 9700k, fine, no worries, but 9900k is one of those cpus you need to consider from the start. It's not part of any upgrade path unless planned for in advance with both mobo and psu.

And as far as gaming goes, unless you have both the gpu and monitor to exploit them, there's no point in going beyond a 9600k, which puts the 9400f/9500f as best options for mid range cards, budget gpus and a 60Hz monitor at 1080p.
An I5 8400 is an upgrade from an HT dual-core to a non-ht 6 core. A massive performance increase that will reduce stutter in games.

Also, the 8th gen motherboard upgrade will give you a superior CPU upgrade path than your old H110 motherboard.

The I5 won't limit a higher-end GPU like your G4560 would.

That being said, how much are you spending on this 8400? There may be better upgrades available like a I5 9400f or Ryzen 5 3600.

InvalidError

Titan
Also, the 8th gen motherboard upgrade will give you a superior CPU upgrade path than your old H110 motherboard.
Desktop Sunny/Willow Cove will be the next generation worth upgrading to on Intel's side and those will certainly require a new socket, so I'd rather plan according to that rather than highly hypothetical upgrade path on a soon-to-be-obsolete socket as Comet Lake later this year will use a new socket.

InvalidError

Titan
True, but that doesnt take away from the fact that the i9 9900k upgrade path certainly is far superior to the 4 core i7 upgrade path he has currently.
What is the likelihood of the i9-9900k dropping in price to the point of being a viable option to someone currently looking for an i5-8400 before something more advanced on 7nm or better completely destroys the 9900k in every possible way? We're already kind of half-way there with the Ryzen 3900 right now.

Reactions: rigg42

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it really does. There's absolutely no point in double upgrade. If going from his current cpu to 9th gen, better to bite the bullet and go all out, or not at all. There's very few mobo's really capable of exploiting the 9900k, the rest either don't have the VRM's to handle it, or the EPS power necessary. 9700k, fine, no worries, but 9900k is one of those cpus you need to consider from the start. It's not part of any upgrade path unless planned for in advance with both mobo and psu.

And as far as gaming goes, unless you have both the gpu and monitor to exploit them, there's no point in going beyond a 9600k, which puts the 9400f/9500f as best options for mid range cards, budget gpus and a 60Hz monitor at 1080p.

Solution

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
What is the likelihood of the i9-9900k dropping in price to the point of being a viable option to someone currently looking for an i5-8400 before something more advanced on 7nm or better completely destroys the 9900k in every possible way? We're already kind of half-way there with the Ryzen 3900 right now.
Zero. History would make you think the 9900k would be extremely desirable for years to come to anyone on z370/z390. Now that Ryzen is fairly competitive perhaps people will just switch platforms instead. The power requirements aren't that daunting and there is a plethora of affordable AM4 boards that can handle a 3700x or even a 3900x. Considering Ryzen and AM4 boards have historically gone down in price over time I see the 9900k looking fairly silly before too long.

InvalidError

Titan
Considering Ryzen and AM4 boards have historically gone down in price over time I see the 9900k looking fairly silly before too long.
For most people buying for the foreseeable future (as opposed to the bare minimum they can live with) today, AM4 will be obsolete by the time they need to upgrade again as there is only one year left to AMD's four-years commitment to AM4 and I'm betting a new socket design will allow AMD to simplify its chiplet CPU substrate. Maybe bring all PCIe 4.0/5.0 lanes on-package while they're at it so the chipset won't need active cooling anymore.

apollosoccer99

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
An I5 8400 is an upgrade from an HT dual-core to a non-ht 6 core. A massive performance increase that will reduce stutter in games.

The I5 won't limit a higher-end GPU like your G4560 would.

That being said, how much are you spending on this 8400? There may be better upgrades available like a I5 9400f or Ryzen 5 3600.
I'm going to buy everything off newegg. Also does it matter what SSD I get with the new motherboard or will any be compatible?

For most people buying for the foreseeable future (as opposed to the bare minimum they can live with) today, AM4 will be obsolete by the time they need to upgrade again as there is only one year left to AMD's four-years commitment to AM4 and I'm betting a new socket design will allow AMD to simplify its chiplet CPU substrate. Maybe bring all PCIe 4.0/5.0 lanes on-package while they're at it so the chipset won't need active cooling anymore.

The difference is the Intel upgrade path sucks, processor resale value is super high, so getting used one was nearly pointless until they're very old and basically obsolete.

With AM4 you can buy a cheaper motherboard for $70 and still upgrade to more cores and threads down the road. There'll be one more refresh with 7nm+ before AM4 is done. However, 6 cores and 12 threads should last a long while. When considering the i5 8400 has a 4.0ghz boost clock, the Ryzen has 6 more threads and 200mhz more boost. Considering the OP is using a 1050ti, I think the ryzen is the smarter buy for the same amount of money.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018

I understand AM4 will be on its way out sooner than later. What I was trying to say was somebody looking to upgrade an 8th or 9th gen i3/i5/i7 to a 9900k a year or 2 from now will likely be able pick up a ryzen 3000 and a compatible motherboard for considerably less money. I bought a brand new crosshair vi hero and a 1700x for $260 last November. I’m pretty sure 6700k cpus were going for more than that at the time. I was just hypothesizing that history might repeat itself in that regard.