[SOLVED] How much would a fair price be to sell this PC?

The Reaper Wolf

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
Hi, I want to upgrade and want to sell my "old" pc to fund some of my new pc. I don't like scamming people or giving bad offers so I want to ask some of you guys to see what you guys think is a fair price to sell it at.

Here's the parts list
----------------------------
CPU-i7-7700k
MOBO-Asus Z270e
Ram-G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB 3000
GPU-Asus Poseidon GTX 1080 ti
PSU-Deepcool DQ650ST
Case-Deepcool Genome II
CPU Cooler-Deepcool CAPTAIN 360

Some super important side notes, the case has some missings screws like the biggest one being the GPU is currently not screwed in and is just holding on from the PCI slot, so far there haven't been any problems, but I sure this would hurt the value a bit (I'm sure I could find some type of screw and put it in though), the second thing is that the case had an acrylic window but it was really scratched over the couple months I've had it so I decided to take it off, then when I move things around my house I misplaced it and can't find it, I didn't lost the whole side panel just the acrylic. The last thing is that I don't want to give away my drives, so I don't know if I should buy a new SSD and give whoever buys this a new instance of windows or just tell them that they would have to do it themselves. (small side note is that I will be selling this through craigslist so there are no worries about shipping)

Solution
Selling piece by piece will usually get you more money but takes longer and might leave you with parts you can’t sell. I am not sure on US second hand prices but this is how I see it. The cpu is outperformed by the latest i5 or equivalent priced Ryzen, the motherboard only supports discontinued cpu’s (6th & 7th gen, current is 9th). The psu is very off putting as low quality psu’s can reduce the life of all components and AIO coolers are notorious for only lasting a few years before pumps dying. Factor in no warranty and the price has to very compelling.

If people are after specific parts such as a 7700k because they already have a z170/z270 motherboard they will pay more for that specific part as it’s the best upgrade available to them.
Honestly? If you could get 750 bucks, regardless that the sum of the parts was much more than that when new, you'd be doing good. The problem isn't that your parts aren't worth anything, it's that newer parts can be had that perform better for less than what a fair price for that build would have been a year ago.

Plus it has a low quality power supply that doesn't do well even for a mediocre unit in testing and a gimmicky case that doesn't have particularly good cooling performance compared to a lot of other, less expensive cases. There's also the fact that your case is only going to appeal to a particular kind of user. It's not a case that the average person is likely to be interested in.

Granting about 400 bucks for a used graphics card, which is probably more than gracious since used cards are a hard sell for the most part, and 100 bucks for the memory, again, hard to do because that memory new isn't much more than that as well as 250 for the CPU and motherboard you're at 750 bucks and that's only if you can find a buyer willing to spend that much money on something that is years old. Just because stuff sells for a certain price though retailers, doesn't mean anybody is actually purchasing it.

The case and cooler, aren't going to bring you anything extra. The case is an even harder sell than the rest of the components and the cooler, unless you just bought it, is practically worthless because these AIO units only typically have about a two to three year service life before something on them fails.

The PSU is worthless IMO.

The Reaper Wolf

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
Honestly? If you could get 750 bucks, regardless that the sum of the parts was much more than that when new, you'd be doing good. The problem isn't that your parts aren't worth anything, it's that newer parts can be had that perform better for less than what a fair price for that build would have been a year ago.

Plus it has a low quality power supply that doesn't do well even for a mediocre unit in testing and a gimmicky case that doesn't have particularly good cooling performance compared to a lot of other, less expensive cases. There's also the fact that your case is only going to appeal to a particular kind of user. It's not a case that the average person is likely to be interested in.

Granting about 400 bucks for a used graphics card, which is probably more than gracious since used cards are a hard sell for the most part, and 100 bucks for the memory, again, hard to do because that memory new isn't much more than that as well as 250 for the CPU and motherboard you're at 750 bucks and that's only if you can find a buyer willing to spend that much money on something that is years old. Just because stuff sells for a certain price though retailers, doesn't mean anybody is actually purchasing it.

The case and cooler, aren't going to bring you anything extra. The case is an even harder sell than the rest of the components and the cooler, unless you just bought it, is practically worthless because these AIO units only typically have about a two to three year service life before something on them fails.

The PSU is worthless IMO.
I don't know I kinda disagree, the cooler is pretty good, I have my 7700k overclocked to 5ghz and my temps are pretty good at around 32c, the cooler is also quite. Also, I have only had this pc for like 11ish months. Also also, the gtx 1080 ti is going for around $500 on ebay and the cpu is going for $250ish and that by itself if $750, do pcs really lost so much value? I bought it for $2200 less than a year ago why would it cost $750 now, for $750 I feel that I'm basically giving it away. Also, I agree the psu is worthless it came with the case for free when I bought it on newegg. (Also sorry for saying also a lot.)

Selling piece by piece will usually get you more money but takes longer and might leave you with parts you can’t sell. I am not sure on US second hand prices but this is how I see it. The cpu is outperformed by the latest i5 or equivalent priced Ryzen, the motherboard only supports discontinued cpu’s (6th & 7th gen, current is 9th). The psu is very off putting as low quality psu’s can reduce the life of all components and AIO coolers are notorious for only lasting a few years before pumps dying. Factor in no warranty and the price has to very compelling.

If people are after specific parts such as a 7700k because they already have a z170/z270 motherboard they will pay more for that specific part as it’s the best upgrade available to them.

Solution

The Reaper Wolf

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016

Okay thanks :)

You just RE-made all my points, except the warranty issues, which I failed to mention like I normally would. And it's a very valid point. Few people want to pay 50% or more of what something costs new when they are going to have to forego the warranty since these warranties are almost universally not transferable.

Also, you are looking at what they "are going for" which means, what people are asking for them, on Ebay. That is not how things are done. I assure you that what they are "asking" and what similar items that actually sell are actually being SOLD for, are entirely different things.

I can put a 10 year old motherboard on Ebay and ask 100 bucks for it. That doesn't mean it's going to actually sell at that price.

If you want to see what people are actually SELLING them for, you need to look at the SOLD listings. I assure you, the average price is generally far lower than what you see on the "asking" listings.

You just RE-made all my points, except the warranty issues, which I failed to mention like I normally would. And it's a very valid point. Few people want to pay 50% or more of what something costs new when they are going to have to forego the warranty since these warranties are almost universally not transferable.
Maybe I should have said but part of my intention was to support what you said but from my perspective, I wasn’t trying steal any thunder. On something opinion based I believe more than one answer even if saying very similar helps the OP validate what they are being told. I did try to add other differences like being specific about modern i5’s to give the OP some direction to lookup for themself, I added the motherboard only supports EOL cpu’s, also that the PSU actually has a negative impact on the possible state of other components. I also added the drawback for AIO to me is the common short life of the pump, this is why I’d never buy one secondhand.

I’m not trying to tread on any toes, just help the OP.

A pc will often fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.
That is because it is unlikely that a buyer will want exactly the same pc.
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.
Looks to me like a 7700K plus motherboard combo sells for $300 or so.

Cases are heavy and shipping a whole pc will be expensive.
Best to find a local buyer if you can.

Since you will be building a replacement, see if you can't reuse some parts.
Your drives would be a start.
Since the case is flawed, I would dump it.
Buy a case you really love.
Sell the motherboard and processor as a combo.
The ram is plenty good to reuse.

I suppose your cooler is ok, but I am not a fan of aio coolers.

Reactions: The Reaper Wolf

The Reaper Wolf

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
A pc will often fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.
That is because it is unlikely that a buyer will want exactly the same pc.
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.
Looks to me like a 7700K plus motherboard combo sells for $300 or so.

Cases are heavy and shipping a whole pc will be expensive.
Best to find a local buyer if you can.

Since you will be building a replacement, see if you can't reuse some parts.
Your drives would be a start.
Since the case is flawed, I would dump it.
Buy a case you really love.
Sell the motherboard and processor as a combo.
The ram is plenty good to reuse.

I suppose your cooler is ok, but I am not a fan of aio coolers.
Thanks, for the cooler I don't need it, I'm going to upgrade to a custom water loop.