[SOLVED] How much would a H150i cooler improve my temps?

barnyard80

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
My build is below.

Running Prime95 Small FFT, with the CPU at stock settings, with 32 threads, my CPU temperature ranges from 60C to 65C.

If I upgraded the cooler to a Corsair H150i Pro, how much lower could I expect the temps to go? And would that lead to improved clocks speeds?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor (£650.00 @ Currys PC World)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (£62.77 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£146.35 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£119.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£167.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.48 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 1030 2 GB 2GH LP OC Video Card (£69.97 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£94.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£119.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan (£21.94 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan (£21.94 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan (£28.68 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £1540.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-24 20:19 BST+0100

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BYH6k6

Solution
~Ahh, I get it now.

Although, I've no idea what Darkbreeze means by the NH-D15 being hard to maintain, besides blowing the dust out from the heatsink and wiping down the fans like every few months or so...
Noctua has one of the most user-friendly mounting system among air coolers, so it can't be that either.

All liquid coolers run into pump issues eventually; no way around it. Just have a backup cooler on hand for when it does go; user's shouldn't try to operate their PC's with a dead or clogged pump, as it'll throttle with little to no effort.
Air coolers don't have this problem; if the fan(s) dies, you can still cool the heatsink with the chassis fans.

Also, the radiator mount matters. The pump being the highest point of the loop...
D

Deleted member 2720853

I would expect increased clock speeds rather than cooler temps. Third gen Ryzens are made to redline. They OC themselves until there is no more cooling/power delivery headroom.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Tell ya what, Corsair's H150i is one of a line of low noise focused CLCs. Performance is secondary; 280mm performance and high end air will outperform it.

You don't appear to have forgotten that Ryzen 3000 will aim for higher frequencies under heavy load... and thermals in the 60s is REALLY good...

So I think the big question is: Why?

Last edited:

barnyard80

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Tell ya what, Corsair's H150i is one of a line of low noise focused CLCs. Performance is secondary; 280mm performance and high end air will outperform it.

You don't appear to have forgotten that Ryzen 3000 will aim for higher frequencies under heavy load... and thermals in the 60s is REALLY good...

So I think the big question is: Why?

In response to the "why", for no other reason than personal interest. You've probably noticed that I've spent far too much time posting nonsense over the last few months. And I'm just interested in finding out how performance would be different if I'd gone for that AIO. The reason I bought the U14S was because (I think it as Darkbreeze) suggested that an NH-D15 cooler would be hard to maintain for a hardware novice (which is me). And that an AIO could easily have pump issues within a few years. So for the sake of reliability/ease of maintenance I chose the U14s. I don't work in IT hardware, so I'm not really in a position to just get parts for testing/experimental purposes. I could have done that with my IT colleagues 10 years ago, but guess I wasted that opportunity as I was not interested in this stuff at the time.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
~Ahh, I get it now.

Although, I've no idea what Darkbreeze means by the NH-D15 being hard to maintain, besides blowing the dust out from the heatsink and wiping down the fans like every few months or so...
Noctua has one of the most user-friendly mounting system among air coolers, so it can't be that either.

All liquid coolers run into pump issues eventually; no way around it. Just have a backup cooler on hand for when it does go; user's shouldn't try to operate their PC's with a dead or clogged pump, as it'll throttle with little to no effort.
Air coolers don't have this problem; if the fan(s) dies, you can still cool the heatsink with the chassis fans.

Also, the radiator mount matters. The pump being the highest point of the loop should be avoided.

That said, the 3950X is surprisingly light on power, considering it's 32 threads... you can't see the same with Intel on that kind of cpu currently.
I don't see the H150i doing much better than the NH-U14S performance-wise, but it's probably a little quieter while doing so.

Solution