How Much Would You Pay for Windows 1.0???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomoCC

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
An online classic! :lol:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/tGvHNNOLnCk&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Still, this ad makes me wonder why we have to pay more than $99 for Windows 7, or for Vista and XP for that matter. :D

Yes, it wan't until NT that Windows became an actual OS instead of just a fancy shell for DOS. Even all versions of 9x were still quite reliant on DOS... even though ME tried to hide it. (Which is probably what made it so crappy...). It made me very happy when MS finally dumped the 9x kernal and went strictly with NT.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
windows was nothing more than a gui for dos until xp. Nt was the network able version of win for business usage. I still have win 3.14nt floating around here somewhere, and the dos discs are with it.

NT 4.0 and Win 2K were more than simple DOS boxes with a fancy shell. I'm not sure about NT3.51... as I never really had a chance to toy around with it much (at all, really). I only got to use DOS, 3.11, 95, 98, NT4.0, ME, 2K and everything after. Windows XP was the first OS to exclusively use the NT kernel for both business and home users... but NT was a different animal altogether compared to DOS or Win 9x.

Status
Not open for further replies.