How noticable are the difference between these latencies?

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I have never experienced w/ differen RAM b4.

What is the difference say between
5-5-5-12

and 4-5-4-12 or 4-4-4-12

Is it huge? Please explain the difference although I know it is FASTER I don't know how much faster. Thanks =D

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006

Really, there's only a very slight difference in performance. Most apps gain between 1 and 3% for each nanosecond. Some gain less, some gain more. One advantage to paying a little extra for, say, 4-4-4-12 is that those chips are likely binned higher. This can impact their overclocking performance. AMD systems are much more sensitive to latencies than Intel systems are.

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
the difference is barely noticable. I think I can survive with 1 second of a difference lol. Why are people fussing over 30-50 more bucks for a 4 timing instead of a 5 =S.

sailer

Splendid

The timing can make a difference in very complex games, or when gaming on the internet where every second counts on some games. To the average person, there is little practical difference. Of course, that's a similar thing between a high speed cpu and a medium speed cpu. Most people don't need the high speed cpu and won't notice the difference. Yet a lot of people will spend every last cent to get the very highest speed they can, for the highest FPS, and hardware companies are all too happy to take their money.