[SOLVED] How often do i need to update the systems drivers?

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
So i just want to know how often i need to update the drivers to its latest versions for a pc and laptop?

Ive got a laptop thats been with me for a while now and im thinking the drivers are outdated, is it a good idea to check for their driver updates also? (Laptop is still running windows 7 lol but i will be upgrading it to windows 10 later on the day) its also got a problem with the charging port and I’ve read that a way to fix it is by updating the battery drivers but if it doesn’t work then there’s probably something wrong with the internal charger port which would need replacing. Thanks

Solution
For the laptop:
The inplace upgrade will upgrade it to WIn 10, along with upgrading the license to Win 10. For free.
But this also carries along with it all the years of old junk in there.
A full wipe and reinstall after that upgrade and license will start you off with a brand new clean OS, fully licensed with Win 10.

If you were to just do a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10 first, you'd have no OS license on that.

USAFRet

Titan
Updating drivers:

1. If the manufacturer pushes out a new one that addresses a particular issue
  2. If you have a particular issue, and a new driver version addresses that
  3. Maybe check once a year other wise.

Since you'll be doing a new install of Win 10 soon (today?), once it is up and running, update all your drivers to the latest current non-beta versions.
Then, check again in a year.

And please please please don't use any 'Driver Booster" or 'driverupdater' things. Those are junk.
Do this manually, and only direct from the manufacturer.

Reactions: Reiv_4

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Updating drivers:

1. If the manufacturer pushes out a new one that addresses a particular issue
  2. If you have a particular issue, and a new driver version addresses that
  3. Maybe check once a year other wise.
Since you'll be doing a new install of Win 10 soon (today?), once it is up and running, update all your drivers to the latest current non-beta versions.
Then, check again in a year.

And please please please don't use any 'Driver Booster" or 'driverupdater' things. Those are junk.
Do this manually, and only direct from the manufacturer.
Could i use the upgrade option when installing windows 10 on the laptop since it already has a license key? and on the new pc im building i will be creating a usb media installer and using that to install windows 10

USAFRet

Titan
Could i use the upgrade option when installing windows 10 on the laptop since it already has a license key? and on the new pc im building i will be creating a usb media installer and using that to install windows 10
Laptop - Yes and no.
What OS is on it now?
How old is that install?
Does it work well?

You'd probably need to do an Upgrade, simply for the OS licensing/activation.
Then, I'd consider doing a full wipe and reinstall after that. Clean out the years of old gunk in there and start fresh.
And also all the current drivers.

Desktop - No problem.
Clean install, an install/update whatever drivers you need.

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Laptop - Yes and no.
What OS is on it now?
How old is that install?
Does it work well?

You'd probably need to do an Upgrade, simply for the OS licensing/activation.
Then, I'd consider doing a full wipe and reinstall after that. Clean out the years of old gunk in there and start fresh.
And also all the current drivers.

Desktop - No problem.
Clean install, an install/update whatever drivers you need.
1.My laptop is still on Windows 7 but im currently downloading the windows creation media tool and putting it on a usb flash drive.
2.Im not sure how old the Windows 7 install is but I’ve had it for a very long time id probably say since 2013 or 14 not sure.
3.It still works alright but it is starting to run slow, but I’m planning to do a factory reset or whatever it is called but im not 100% sure how to do it

USAFRet

Titan
#3.
Do the inplace Upgrade from 7 to 10. That should get the licensing aspect covered. Verify this after the upgrade.
Then, I'd do a full wipe and reinstall. That upgrade from 7 to 10 is also carrying along years of old gunk.
Start fresh.
You can use the same USB install thing for the laptop. It will reactivate itself once it goes online after that clean install.

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
#3.
Do the inplace Upgrade from 7 to 10. That should get the licensing aspect covered. Verify this after the upgrade.
Then, I'd do a full wipe and reinstall. That upgrade from 7 to 10 is also carrying along years of old gunk.
Start fresh.
You can use the same USB install thing for the laptop. It will reactivate itself once it goes online after that clean install.

Wait im confused, what you mean by the inplace upgrade from 7 to 10 and then verify it? And then after upgrading it i do a full wipe and reinstall windows again? and then what do i use the usb for the laptop? Sorry im confused

USAFRet

Titan
For the laptop:
The inplace upgrade will upgrade it to WIn 10, along with upgrading the license to Win 10. For free.
A full wipe and reinstall after that upgrade and license will start you off with a brand new clean OS, fully licensed with Win 10.

If you were to just do a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10 first, you'd have no OS license on that.

Solution

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
For the laptop:

Okay so i want to do the second option then, a full wipe, a reinstall with clean OS and windows 10 fully licensed but how do i do that without accidentally doing the 3rd one you mentioned? Do i just follow the guide you sent me in the previous post? Is that the correct way to keep my Windows license?

USAFRet

Titan
First, create your USB Win 10 install.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from that, and it should give you the option of an inplace install.
Do that.
When it is all done, verify that the Windows 10 is actually 'activated'.
This PC, right click, select Properties. It should say at bottom right.
That means that this Windows install is now licensed to this laptop.
After, you can then do a full wipe and reinstall, using that Clean Install guide posted above.

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
First, create your USB Win 10 install.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from that, and it should give you the option of an inplace install.
Do that.
When it is all done, verify that the Windows 10 is actually 'activated'.
This PC, right click, select Properties. It should say at bottom right.
That means that this Windows install is now licensed to this laptop.
After, you can then do a full wipe and reinstall, using that Clean Install guide posted above.
See when i get to the partition part do i need to delete any existing ones so i have a fresh one or do i keep the one already there

Edit: also do i choose the custom install instead of the upgrade right?

the best thing to do to avoid problems is upgrade windows 7 on your laptop to windows 10, after the upgrade make sure it is still activated then link a microsoft account to it like a hotmail or outlook e-mail account. this way the liscence information gets stored and will allow you to use the activation troublshooter if something goes wrong

if you do the windows 10 upgrade from windows 7 first you will not need your windows 7 key during the clean install of windows 10 because it will activate over the internet after it

as for drivers, make sure the laptop manufacurer has drivers for windows 10 for your laptop. windows update will usully get most of the drivers for you but depending on the age of the laptop some things on your laptop may not work