How often do you rebuild your Hard Drive?

bill

How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have to
reload the OS and applications?

For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others do??

In article <XPARc.134210$fv.119410@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
Bill <st6_guy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have to
>reload the OS and applications?
>
>For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others do??

About every 100,000 miles ? ;-)

What OS ?

Win/98 systes seem to need a fresh install after a couple
years, especially of the onwer keeps catching spyware.

Other than that, I have machines that have run for years with all
versions of NT, and Linux. generally the machine becomes obsolete or
needs to be redeployed for some other use, at some point.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Bill wrote:

> How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have to
> reload the OS and applications?
>
> For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others do??

I have a 40G hard drive partitioned to two 20G drives and Drive Image 2002.

The first partition is the normal c:\ drive with the OS, programs, etc.
It currently uses about 4G of the 20G partition.

The second partition is used to save occasional images of the primary drive.
If I add new games, or programs, I make an new image first. I can always go
back
to previous images. I have 8 old images( stores about 2:1 compression) and
a Misc file directory. I just delete the oldest image as I need room.

I also have a spare drive on a removable HDD mobile Rack that I store an
occasional image.

I haven't had to rebuild the OS with all the drivers since I initially imaged
it.

Reimaging the c:\ drive takes about 10 minutes.

"Bill" <st6_guy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<XPARc.134210$fv.119410@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
> How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have to
> reload the OS and applications?
>
> For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others do??

no reason to do that as long as it runs. Only boring computer geek would
do that.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

")-()-(" wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
> > How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have to
> > reload the OS and applications?
> >
> > For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others do??
>
> I have a 40G hard drive partitioned to two 20G drives and Drive Image 2002.
>
> The first partition is the normal c:\ drive with the OS, programs, etc.
> It currently uses about 4G of the 20G partition.
>
> The second partition is used to save occasional images of the primary drive.
> If I add new games, or programs, I make an new image first. I can always go
> back
> to previous images. I have 8 old images( stores about 2:1 compression) and
> a Misc file directory. I just delete the oldest image as I need room.
>
> I also have a spare drive on a removable HDD Mobile Rack that I store an
> occasional image.
>
> I haven't had to rebuild the OS with all the drivers since I initially imaged
> it.
>
> Reimaging the c:\ drive takes about 10 minutes.

if anyone is interested, the Primary drive c:\
is NTFS WinXP, and the secondary partition / drive that
images are stored to is FAT32.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066J6A/103-6149365-9848654

It's best to backup to a spare removable drive on a HDD mobile rack IMO.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Was this message crossposted . . . ?

"Red Cloud" <mmdir2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Bill" <st6_guy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have
> > reload the OS and applications?
> >
> > For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others
do??

> no reason to do that as long as it runs. Only boring computer geek would
> do that.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Was this message crossposted . . . ?

"Red Cloud" <mmdir2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Bill" <st6_guy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have
> > reload the OS and applications?
> >
> > For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others
do??

> no reason to do that as long as it runs. Only boring computer geek would
> do that.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:55:03 GMT, "Bill" <st6_guy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have to
> reload the OS and applications?
>
> For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others do??

No. Only when installing new OS or replacing the hard drive (C:)

"Bill" <st6_guy@yahoo.com> wrote...
> How often do you erase your hard drive (voluntary or otherwise) and have
> reload the OS and applications?
>
> For me, it seems about once a year. I am just wondering what others do??

Averages every 2 years, for various reasons.

TRENDING THREADS