[SOLVED] How often should I change the pre-applied thermal paste for my year old h100i v2 liquid cooler?

greenbatman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
I got this thing nearly a year ago, haven't changed the pre applied thermal paste yet, at what point do I need to change it? Also, what thermal paste should I use for it?

Solution
When you notice a rise in average temperatures.

90% of the time you can leave paste on between major overhauls.

What paste is down to what you want to pay. Most thermal compounds perform within a few degree C of each other, so it isn't vital to get the best paste out there unless you are doing heavy overclocking.

Arctic MX-4 is my go to recommendation for a decently priced and versatile compound. Works well on all types of interfaces.

For a smooth chill plate and CPU interface, you will find that the thinner, more liquid pastes work better. (See thermal grizzly, noctua)

For rougher direct heat pipe coolers you often want a thicker paste. MX-4 works well here.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When you notice a rise in average temperatures.

90% of the time you can leave paste on between major overhauls.

What paste is down to what you want to pay. Most thermal compounds perform within a few degree C of each other, so it isn't vital to get the best paste out there unless you are doing heavy overclocking.

Arctic MX-4 is my go to recommendation for a decently priced and versatile compound. Works well on all types of interfaces.

For a smooth chill plate and CPU interface, you will find that the thinner, more liquid pastes work better. (See thermal grizzly, noctua)

For rougher direct heat pipe coolers you often want a thicker paste. MX-4 works well here.

Solution