[SOLVED] How out of date are my components / recommendations to avoid bottle necking/upgrading?

Charlesthesecond

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
i have been wondering for a while if they are out of date and what would be the best way to go about changing them, and in what order,
my current build is

Processor Intel core i5-4690S 3.20GHz
Mother board msi Z97S sli krait edition
RAM 8GB hyper x
Graphics card asus geforce gtx 960 2GB
power supply corsair CX600M
processor cooler cooler master hyper 212 evo
Hard drive wd blue 10EZEX 1.0 TB SATA/64MB Cashe

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

Solution
So, the PSU would REALLY be the first thing I'd change, and follow that with other upgrades. All at once would be a lot better though.

This is the kind of upgrade that makes sense, and would give you a nice improvement over your current system with a CPU that has better single core performance, plus two additional cores that your i5 doesn't have, plus SIX additional hyperthreads that your i5 doesn't have, and a MUCH better power supply. Another 8GB of RAM doesn't hurt either, as memory requirements for everything have gone up since the days when that Haswell system was current.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£147.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX...
Oh boy, yeah, pretty out of date now.

And that PSU is a very well known problematic model. The fact that you've had it this long (If it's as old as the rest of the build) is somewhat of a miracle and likely mostly due to the fact that your system requires much less than the 600w it's supposed to be rated for.

Are you wanting to upgrade now, and if so, what do you primarily USE this system for? Is it primarily a gaming system, or is gaming just a less critical secondary pastime that is only casually enjoyed?

Charlesthesecond

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
Oh boy, yeah, pretty out of date now.

And that PSU is a very well known problematic model. The fact that you've had it this long (If it's as old as the rest of the build) is somewhat of a miracle and likely mostly due to the fact that your system requires much less than the 600w it's supposed to be rated for.

Are you wanting to upgrade now, and if so, what do you primarily USE this system for? Is it primarily a gaming system, or is gaming just a less critical secondary pastime that is only casually enjoyed?

Mainly gaming but more or less a secondary pastime type of gaming. Yeah I got the PSU at the time as I thought it would be more future proof but as time went on I started hearing things about it, not good things. I am looking to slowly upgrade it as I don't have a lot of money but I do have a stable income so time is my friend

So, the PSU would REALLY be the first thing I'd change, and follow that with other upgrades. All at once would be a lot better though.

This is the kind of upgrade that makes sense, and would give you a nice improvement over your current system with a CPU that has better single core performance, plus two additional cores that your i5 doesn't have, plus SIX additional hyperthreads that your i5 doesn't have, and a MUCH better power supply. Another 8GB of RAM doesn't hurt either, as memory requirements for everything have gone up since the days when that Haswell system was current.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£147.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£99.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£79.86 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.99 @ Currys PC World)
Total: £392.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-21 19:46 BST+0100

Solution