[SOLVED] how put noisy tower far away

Feb 8, 2019
Hello,
I just bought a new desktop. The tower is quite noisy and I'd like to put it far away from me while using the pc. So obviously: tower far away; monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers close to me.

I see there are 10 meters long HDMI cables. With this I can have the tower 10 meters away from the monitor.

Now the keyboard. I have a wired keyboard and the cable is short. Either I buy a wireless keyboard or I buy a new monitor that can be connected to my keyboard. Some people mention that wireless keyboard have huge lag. I don't game but so did the ones who wrote the comments. Is it only like this for the cheaper wireless keyboards ?

I already have a wireless mouse even though it doesn't work from 10 meters away. only from 2-3, I tested. So either I buy a new one that works from that far or I buy a monitor that can be connected to it.

Then lastly there's the speakers. My monitor doesn't have speakers. I have external speakers. But my monitor doesn't have an audio jack. Right now I am connecting the speakers to my tower.

In conclusion. Either I buy a monitor that can be connected to a wired keyboard, a wireless mouse and wired speakers. Or I buy a strong wireless keyboard, mouse and speakers. Looks like that adds up quickly in price so maybe a new monitor is just easier and more cost effective.. let me know what you think I'm a noob in pc matters..

Solution

HDMI carries both video and audio. So if you get a monitor with a headphone jack (the monitor does not need to have speakers to have a headphone jack), you could just plug the speakers into that. Alternately, you could buy a box to break out the audio from the HDMI cable.

https://www.amazon.com/AVBOX-Extractor-Optical-Converter-Sampling/dp/B078V7CDF5

A 3.5mm audio extension cable will work, but in my experience those are extremely susceptible to electrical interference (humming, buzzing, and static).

But in general, I agree with the others. Try replacing the fans - it'll be cheaper...
you could get a new monitor with a usb hub, and an extender cable from the monitor to the pc.

or you could fix the problem of the tower so it's not noisy any more. check your fans, if they're noisy something may be wrong, and just pushing it away isn't gonna fix it.

Feb 8, 2019

I buy a monitor with one usb port and I buy a usb hub ? I connect the usb hub to my monitor's usb port ? Then I connect my keyboard and mouse to the hub ? And I also connect an extender cable from the hub to the pc ?

i'd get a monitor with multiple usb outs (basically includes the hub) and you extend the cable between the pc and the monitor.

but like i said, you'd best fix the fans in the case instead of treating the symptoms like you're trying to do. if something is wrong with the fans the cpu or gpu or psu will overheat.

USAFRet

Titan

Fix the actual problem.
Why is it loud?

Feb 8, 2019

Do you mean I can get a monitor with built in usb ports ?
So I need a monitor with 3 usb ports, right ? 1 for my keyboard, 1 for my mouse and 1 for the extender cable ?
I don't really understand what this extender cable is. If I use it I still need to use an HDMI cable too between the tower and monitor ?

Or I can connect a cable extender to my tower and to a usb hub to which I connect my mouse and keyboard.. Problem is the external speakers they need to be close to my tower..

most monitors that have usbs will have 1 input and at least 2-4 outputs. (i.e. a builtin usb hub). your problem will be that you'll need a long usb cable to plug a pc output into the tv input. (or a very long usb cable + or a normal one + an extender usb cable something like this but longer - https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/male-to-female-usb-wire-11912217855.html)

this is separate from the hdmi cable, and like you said, you'll also need something for the audio signal... (or get a monitor that has also the audio input/output)

HDMI carries both video and audio. So if you get a monitor with a headphone jack (the monitor does not need to have speakers to have a headphone jack), you could just plug the speakers into that. Alternately, you could buy a box to break out the audio from the HDMI cable.

https://www.amazon.com/AVBOX-Extractor-Optical-Converter-Sampling/dp/B078V7CDF5

A 3.5mm audio extension cable will work, but in my experience those are extremely susceptible to electrical interference (humming, buzzing, and static).

But in general, I agree with the others. Try replacing the fans - it'll be cheaper. Or go into the BIOS and see if there's a low/quiet fan profile.

Solution
Feb 8, 2019
I can get a long extension cable and a usb hub that also has an audio jack and a long hdmi cable.

Extension cable in tower
Usb hub to extension cable
Mouse, keyboard and speakers in USB hub
long HDMUI cable from monitor to tower

Am I missing something ?

Is this hardware OK ?

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/deltaco-vr-816-usb-desktoppoort-3xusb-a-3-1-gen1-2x3-5mm-2-4a-bc-1-2-60mm-installatiediameter-zwart/9200000098065308/?suggestionType=browse&bltgh=lvqe-z6AsTMH8T605pZM2Q.pndWszeq7uk2fRPKy5NJrQ_0.9.ProductImage

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/aten-usb-3-0-a-male-naar-usb-3-0-a-female-5-m/9200000048739405/?suggestionType=typedsearch&bltgh=rWFUquvyYxPs4eiVWJNBHw.1.9.ProductTitle