[SOLVED] How screwed am I? PSU + Power Surge

Jul 9, 2019
Watch the now edited "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
This is a moral lesson about the need for surge protection. I know I messed up. My question is how bad should I expect it to be.

I returned home last night to find that a fuse had blown in the room with my computer. Resetting the fuse, I found that my computer would not turn on, no fans, no lights, nothing. I recently moved and have not yet installed a surge protector.

My PSU is a Be Quiet 11 700w Gold. I spent time unplugging it from the mobo, resetting the mobo battery, etc. Nothing. I have ordered a new one and am sending the dead one to the manufacturer.

My question is how likely is it that my PC components are ruined? The Be Quiet 11 is fairly high end and I am hoping that it absorbed the volts without passing them on. The computer would have been turned off at the time of the surge, I think. How possible/likely that my mobo, RAM, hard drives, and (worst thought) GPU are effected? Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You should be fine. Even on the Pure Power 11 the 12V rail is pretty well protected for OCP. Good SCP.
Just the 5V and 3.3 Rails have some slight differences from my awareness. It's just one of those PSUs that is all round a good quality unit, just a high price tag for what it gives.

But there is only 1 way to find out - I suspect you should be fine given the quality of the units. If you were using a no-name/unknown or cheap Thermaltake etc for example, I wouldn't be so optimistic!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What Be Quiet is it exactly? Being as it is 11, I can only see it being one of these:

Straight Power 11 = Probably fine
Dark Power Pro 11 = Probably fine
Pure Power 11 = Not as good - but should be fine

All of the above are fairly good, especially the Dark Power Pro.

How possible/likely that my mobo, RAM, hard drives, and (worst thought) GPU are effected?
Unfortunately, only way to tell is to plug in the new PSU and retest, there is no way anyone will know here. However the higher quality the PSU (usually), the less risk there is.

Jul 9, 2019
What Be Quiet is it exactly? Being as it is 11, I can only see it being one of these:

Straight Power 11 = Probably fine
Dark Power Pro 11 = Probably fine
Pure Power 11 = Not as good - but should be fine

All of the above are fairly good, especially the Dark Power Pro.

Unfortunately, only way to tell is to plug in the new PSU and retest, there is no way anyone will know here. However the higher quality the PSU (usually), the less risk there is.
It's the Pure Power one. Hopefully I only blew the fuse in the box.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You should be fine. Even on the Pure Power 11 the 12V rail is pretty well protected for OCP. Good SCP.
Just the 5V and 3.3 Rails have some slight differences from my awareness. It's just one of those PSUs that is all round a good quality unit, just a high price tag for what it gives.

But there is only 1 way to find out - I suspect you should be fine given the quality of the units. If you were using a no-name/unknown or cheap Thermaltake etc for example, I wouldn't be so optimistic!

Solution
Sometimes even surge protectors are not enough, I recommend UPS's with surge protection. I have had my power go out 5 times this year and my computers UPS's "Say oh my" and shut my computers down normally ( set for 1 min) so I don't get file corruption.