[SOLVED] How Screwed am I?

ppercutt

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello,

I was attempting to install a new CPU cooler to replace the stock one on my MSI Gaming Plus x570 motherboard, when the screwdriver slipped and took out a part of the motherboard. Pictures below start from zoomed out to zoomed into see the actual part damaged.

Will it work with that part damaged? (just finish the install and power it on, see what happens)
If not, can that part be fixed (soldered)? (a small dab of it, and I'm good to go)
None of the above, order a new one? (you screwed up big time, pay the man)

RiZpy1b.jpg

TS9nCkC.jpg

xwFVoLC.jpg

Solution
Those appear to be MLCC capacitors of the type used to decouple EMI from trace paths. If so, they're highly redundant, often times not even installed in all possible locations as cost saving measures by the mfr.

They connect between the signal trace and a ground so the most important thing is to make sure all of the broken part is removed so that nothing is left to short between it's solder pads. Once removed it will most likely operate normally as it is usually a redundant part.

ppercutt

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I have a massive LED light at max brightness a couple inches from the board. I can't even look right at the light its so bright. (When I blink, I'm still seeing spots)

But I did take a few more photos, tried to get more angles, if that helps.

PxXwn1v.jpg

VQJgPaJ.jpg

pQUqVb6.jpg

Those appear to be MLCC capacitors of the type used to decouple EMI from trace paths. If so, they're highly redundant, often times not even installed in all possible locations as cost saving measures by the mfr.

They connect between the signal trace and a ground so the most important thing is to make sure all of the broken part is removed so that nothing is left to short between it's solder pads. Once removed it will most likely operate normally as it is usually a redundant part.

Reactions: ppercutt
Solution

ppercutt

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I finished installing the new CPU cooler, booted up the computer, and it WORKS PERFECTLY!

Thank you very much for the info. I'm very happy its a redundant part and I feel lucky the damage wasn't more serious.