[SOLVED] How secure are HDDs "disconnected" via BIOS?

Moleyman69

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Hi everyone,

In my PC, I have a boot drive, an internal data drive and finally an internal backup drive (I also have various external backup drives that are kept in alternative locations).

Currently, my internal backup drive has its power cable disconnected when not in use to protect it in case of ransomeware, malware etc etc. I then open the case and reconnect the power cable when I want to run backups. This can be a little annoying - granted, not as annoying as not having a backup should the worst happen.

However, to save me keep opening my case and attaching/unattaching the power cable to the backup drive I was wondering about disabling/enabling the backup drive in the BIOS as and when needed.

So my question is basically how secure/safe from malware, ransomware etc would the backup drive be if it was disabled in the BIOS against a malware attack?

Or am I still better physically disconnecting the power cable?

Many thanks, everyone.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Moley

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, with your worries, it would make the most sense to put the hard drive into an external enclosure that you can simply turn off when not using. What you're doing now and what you're proposing to do sound like gigantic pains in the butt.