[SOLVED] How should I configure a 10 Gbe port and two 1Gb ports on a server

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I just installed a 10 Gbe card into my server running windows server 2016 and wanted to keep the two 1 Gb connections in place. People claim I can't aggregate/bond them as their different speeds which is fine but do I need to configure it at all to optimize speeds? All I've done so far is install the driver and ensure everything works properly.

Should I be putting the 1 gig connections on standby as to not interfere or will windows handle everything for me?

Thanks!

Solution
You are likely best off disabling them just to make things simpler. The default options will only use the 10g port anyway but you can run into strange issues.

It is highly unlikely your machine will be able to actually max out a 10g port anyway. You likely have bottlenecks in the disk subsystems or in the applications. It will be simpler to just use the 10g port and if you start running into some bandwidth then worry about the 1g ports.
You are likely best off disabling them just to make things simpler. The default options will only use the 10g port anyway but you can run into strange issues.

It is highly unlikely your machine will be able to actually max out a 10g port anyway. You likely have bottlenecks in the disk subsystems or in the applications. It will be simpler to just use the 10g port and if you start running into some bandwidth then worry about the 1g ports.

Solution