How should I connect my gaming computer?

Lucas Brown

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Hi, I am somewhat of a beginner to building computers so bear with me here. I have a build for my gaming PC almost all figured out, however, I am unsure what to do with networking. As I will be gaming a lot online/skyping with friends, I want a strong, reliable and fast connection to the internet. I will be putting my PC in my room, which is aprox. 20 ft away from our router. The signal goes through two walls, but browsing the internet/watching HD videos in my room using my ipad works great.

Although I would prefer using an ethernet connection, I do not want to have to drill holes in my walls. For that reason I am leaning towards WiFi, but I have been looking into other solutions such as powerline adaptors as well.

My questions are, should I buy an ethernet card and use powerline? What about a WiFi card? What would the price differences be? Could someone find me a cheap but good WiFi card? (I have a limited budget that I have almost reached with the rest of the parts, so I need my networking solution to be on the cheap.) Would it be possible to salvage the Wifi card from my old PC? It's a Dell from 2003, would the card be too out of date?

If anyone could help me with any of the questions I would greatly appreciate it! :)