[SOLVED] How should I cool my entire PC?

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
I have recently upgraded almost my entire system and now I want to make some final changes to it, which is the cooling and the hard drives.

My computer uses a stock AMD cooler and one Deepcool exhaust fan on the case. I am planning on buying a kit of 5 Arctic P14's and putting three of them in the front ( as intake ), two at the top ( as exhaust ), and leave the stock Deepcool one at the back ( as exhaust ).

I have recently done some testing with my system and removing the front panel and adding an additional fan on the front, makes my CPU load temperatures decrease by 2-3C ( From 82C to about 79-80C ). Though putting the front panel back on with the intake fan, makes the temperature rise back up to 82C. Maybe the fan is not powerful enough? For this type of case, do I need more pressure or more airflow?

Because of such high temperatures on the CPU, I am also planning on buying new cooler for the CPU. Preferably an air cooler and a very quiet one. I was thinking about the Arctic Freezer 34 DUO eSports, but it is quite old, so maybe there are some new ones, that are cheaper and better? Noctua is way too expensive for me.

Budget for both the case fans and the CPU cooler is about 100Euros. The case fans cost 35Eur and the CPU cooler costs 60Eur.
I am open to suggestions on what should I do. Maybe there are better case fans? Maybe there are better CPU fans? Maybe the entire case is bad?
I am not planning on changing the case, because it already cost me 80Euros and I wouldn't want that money wasted.

Specifications :

Motherboard : ASUS ROG B450-E Gaming
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600
Case : Deepcool CH510
GPU : ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1050 Ti

Solution
What about the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO? Is it good? Any specific alternatives you would have on your mind?

Is my case going to be very limiting? Since I just bought it, I do not want to change it and do not have a budget.

I am both concerned for the noise and the thermals. I want the PC to be almost inaudible, but the current HDD is very loud, so I will be replacing it.

I have no personal knowledge of the cooler. All I could do is point you to reviews.

You want "almost inaudible". That may or may not collide with heat. You will compromise somewhere.

Where that is depends on your personal tolerances and pre-conceived notions. You'd say "Wow, that's too loud" or "Curses, that's too hot".

You get to define "too"...
https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cases/fulltowercases/CH510-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/2022/15764.shtml

Deepcool specs above say you can use a cooler up to 175 mm tall and you can use 5 to 7 case fans, depending on diameter chosen. Mounts are: Front 3, back 1, top 3.

Seven if 120 mm; Five if 140 mm.

175 mm cooler height means you can accept virtually any air cooler on the market.

I'm not sure I would buy a 5 pack of anything. Those Arctics are 140 mm, which is good. But do you need 5?

Wait for comments about those particular fans. I am unfamiliar.

Other coolers: I think Deepcool has some decent models?

What would be your budget for a case if forced to get one?

Are you much more concerned about temps than fan noise?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have recently upgraded almost my entire system and now I want to make some final changes to it, which is the cooling and the hard drives.

My computer uses a stock AMD cooler and one Deepcool exhaust fan on the case. I am planning on buying a kit of 5 Arctic P14's and putting three of them in the front ( as intake ), two at the top ( as exhaust ), and leave the stock Deepcool one at the back ( as exhaust ).

I have recently done some testing with my system and removing the front panel and adding an additional fan on the front, makes my CPU load temperatures decrease by 2-3C ( From 82C to about 79-80C ). Though putting the front panel back on with the intake fan, makes the temperature rise back up to 82C. Maybe the fan is not powerful enough? For this type of case, do I need more pressure or more airflow?

Because of such high temperatures on the CPU, I am also planning on buying new cooler for the CPU. Preferably an air cooler and a very quiet one. I was thinking about the Arctic Freezer 34 DUO eSports, but it is quite old, so maybe there are some new ones, that are cheaper and better? Noctua is way too expensive for me.

Budget for both the case fans and the CPU cooler is about 100Euros. The case fans cost 35Eur and the CPU cooler costs 60Eur.
I am open to suggestions on what should I do. Maybe there are better case fans? Maybe there are better CPU fans? Maybe the entire case is bad?
I am not planning on changing the case, because it already cost me 80Euros and I wouldn't want that money wasted.

Specifications :

Motherboard : ASUS ROG B450-E Gaming
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600
Case : Deepcool CH510
GPU : ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1050 Ti
Should be all you need for what you have.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler (£34.99 @ Technextday)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan (£12.94 @ Box Limited)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan (£12.94 @ Box Limited)
Total: £60.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-29 21:21 BST+0100

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cases/fulltowercases/CH510-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/2022/15764.shtml

Deepcool specs above say you can use a cooler up to 175 mm tall and you can use 5 to 7 case fans, depending on diameter chosen. Mounts are: Front 3, back 1, top 3.

Seven if 120 mm; Five if 140 mm.

175 mm cooler height means you can accept virtually any air cooler on the market.

I'm not sure I would buy a 5 pack of anything. Those Arctics are 140 mm, which is good. But do you need 5?

Wait for comments about those particular fans. I am unfamiliar.

Other coolers: I think Deepcool has some decent models?

What would be your budget for a case if forced to get one?

Are you much more concerned about temps than fan noise?

There are plenty of reviews of P12's ( They are just the smaller version of the P14's ) and they are all mostly positive. As I said, I would use the 5 fans for the entire case. Two on the front as intake, two at the top as exhaust and one at the back. This would equal out the pressure inside the case.

What about the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO? Is it good? Any specific alternatives you would have on your mind?

Is my case going to be very limiting? Since I just bought it, I do not want to change it and do not have a budget.

I am both concerned for the noise and the thermals. I want the PC to be almost inaudible, but the current HDD is very loud, so I will be replacing it.

I have no personal knowledge of the cooler. All I could do is point you to reviews.

You want "almost inaudible". That may or may not collide with heat. You will compromise somewhere.

Where that is depends on your personal tolerances and pre-conceived notions. You'd say "Wow, that's too loud" or "Curses, that's too hot".

You get to define "too". Some people would have a seizure if temps hit 70. Some would strongly disagree with your definition of "that's too loud".

If you find an HDD to be "very loud", the implication would be that you are quite sensitive to noise. But on what scale? You have to suit yourself.

All you can do is buy certain stuff and experiment. There's no way to know with any semi-certainty without taking a leap of faith and seeing where you land.....and modify later if budget still permits.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution