[SOLVED] How should i go about my old bios and new bios when installing new motherboard

BigBoyStalin

Commendable
May 2, 2019
Im fairly new to PC building and im upgrading y motherboard from the prime-B450M to the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING, im also upgrading my cpu from the ryzen 5 to the ryzen 7 1800X. I wondering how i should go about changing bios, windows, etc. Should i unstall the old bios and download a new one before or after, and how do i do that, and ive heard i have to get a new copy of windows, whats up with that, all help is appreciated thank you.

Welcome to Tom's!
  1. BIOSes are motherboard specific. The BIOS for your old motherboard is not compatible with your new motherboard. Your new motherboard's BIOS supports the 1800x out of the box, so there is no need to update the BIOS.
  2. Whether or not you will need a new license for Windows will depend on your current version. If you are running Win10, and you linked it to your Microsoft account instead of your motherboard, then probably not.

Reactions: BigBoyStalin

BigBoyStalin

Commendable
May 2, 2019
Welcome to Tom's!
  1. BIOSes are motherboard specific. The BIOS for your old motherboard is not compatible with your new motherboard. Your new motherboard's BIOS supports the 1800x out of the box, so there is no need to update the BIOS.
  2. Whether or not you will need a new license for Windows will depend on your current version. If you are running Win10, and you linked it to your Microsoft account instead of your motherboard, then probably not.
so your saying if i just take out the old motherboard and put the new one in with all my stuff on it, when it turns on it will work everything out by itself?

lets say i used a ryzen 5 1600x would that also work, what would make it not work (trying to learn everything so i dont have to use forums again)
The BIOS of the new motherboard will support the 1600x without a BIOS update. However, since it is a new motherboard, I would HIGHLY recommend that you do a clean re-install of Windows. When Windows is first installed, it loads motherboard specific drivers onto the hard drive, Even though the new motherboard is the same chipset as the old, there are different features that could cause Windows to have issues, and not work properly. This is NOT a BIOS issue, but a Windows issue.

BigBoyStalin

Commendable
May 2, 2019
The BIOS of the new motherboard will support the 1600x without a BIOS update. However, since it is a new motherboard, I would HIGHLY recommend that you do a clean re-install of Windows. When Windows is first installed, it loads motherboard specific drivers onto the hard drive, Even though the new motherboard is the same chipset as the old, there are different features that could cause Windows to have issues, and not work properly. This is NOT a BIOS issue, but a Windows issue.
so how would i go about doing that? Would it keep everything i had on it and would i have to pay for a new license?

USAFRet

Titan
Im fairly new to PC building and im upgrading y motherboard from the prime-B450M to the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING, im also upgrading my cpu from the ryzen 5 to the ryzen 7 1800X. I wondering how i should go about changing bios, windows, etc. Should i unstall the old bios and download a new one before or after, and how do i do that
No, you don't "uninstall the BIOS".

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

Then, it may or may not need a clean install with the new hardware. Prepare for this.

Latest posts