[SOLVED] How should I increase my PC's storage?

mrm198

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2015
Hi,
I'm running out of hard disk space on my 2TB drive and would like to increase the amount of storage space I have.
What are my options? Should I add another 2TB drive or similar? Or do i need to replace my current 2TB drive with something bigger?
Are there any recommended models?

I'm a casual gamer - all my games are installed on the HDD. My SSD holds my operating system.

Thanks for your help! :)

Here is my PC:
CPU: I7 3770k
CASE: Coolermaster HAF X
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI)
RAM: 16GB CORSAIR DDR3 RAM
SSD: 120GB HYPER X SSD
HDD: WD 2TB DRIVE. 1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166
PSU: COOLERMASTER 1000w Platinum

Solution
Your current motherboard has 6 SATA ports, 2 of which are SATA 3 and 4 of which are SATA 2. You can add pretty much any SATA based 2.5" or 3.5" drive to the build, provided you have mounting locations in your chassis and you can spend on said storage drives. You can also work with 2.5" SSD's.

Should I add another 2TB drive or similar?
I'd add more drives, remove strain on one drive(meaning not to run it at the red line, when looking at the drive in This PC).

Lutfij

Titan
Your current motherboard has 6 SATA ports, 2 of which are SATA 3 and 4 of which are SATA 2. You can add pretty much any SATA based 2.5" or 3.5" drive to the build, provided you have mounting locations in your chassis and you can spend on said storage drives. You can also work with 2.5" SSD's.

Should I add another 2TB drive or similar?
I'd add more drives, remove strain on one drive(meaning not to run it at the red line, when looking at the drive in This PC).

Solution

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Since your HDD looks to be an older model, you could buy a new, larger unit, like maybe8-12TB (cause games are constantly getting larger in size), copy your data over to it, then sell your current one... or just add another, newer unit.

However, adding an additional drive could give you another place to store a complete system back up (on a separate partition), just in case, and keep the old one for stuff you don't use very often... :)

mrm198

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2015
Thank you both, your answers are very helpful! I will look at what options there are to add or replace. I'm leaning more towards adding one, but will see what is out there :)