cloviswhiting

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
Hey, I'm pretty sure this is the right place to post this but I can't be sure, this is my first post. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

So, I have a GTX 980 Ti. This GPU has 1 HDMI port. But, I also have an ASUS Maximus Hero VII that has one HDMI port. I own 0 Display Port cables, nor do I think my secondary display supports DP anyway.

Firstly, if I want to run dual displays, can I have one HDMI in the GPU and one in the Mobo? If not, that may be the issue already. If so, let me continue.

I have an Optoma UHD51 projector that I use for my Xbox One. Works great. However, I just got a 25 ft HDMI cord so I can plug my PC into my projector and use that as a second display to game on the couch with my PC instead of only my Xbox.

Here's the issue: If I plug ONLY my projector into my GPU HDMI port, I get a working display on my projector in bios and while Windows loads, but once it goes to the sign-in page to get onto my desktop, the projector all the sudden says "No Signal". I tried signing into my desktop while the projector said "No Signal" from muscle memory just to see if maybe it would show the desktop and just not the sign-in page, but that didn't work. I have no idea why it would show a display in bios and while Windows is posting but not when it gets to Windows itself. I have tried to plug the projector into my Mobo and my monitor into my GPU HDMI, but it doesn't seem like my PC detects the projector that way. If I go to the Nvidia Control Panel, only my monitor is displayed. If I press win+p and hit "extend display" I DO get a second display to show up, but it is called "Digital Display" so I am assuming that that's not the projector. Hitting "Duplicate Display" just makes my monitor's aspect ratio change and turns the resolution down, so that doesn't work either.

TL;DR: I only have 1 HDMI on my GPU and 1 HDMI on my Mobo and I want to use 2 displays. Plugging them both in doesn't work. I can't seem to get my second display to show up, unless I plug my second display ONLY into my GPU HDMI port, but even then it loses signal once out of bios.

There is basically nothing online for how to fix this particular issue from what I've seen, so for the first time, I'm turning to you guys!

I appreciate any help in advance :)

(PS, my monitor is an LG Ultra Wide 2560x1080p and my Optoma UHD51 is 4k, so idk if the different display sizes/resolutions are an issue, and also idk what kind of HDMI my monitor cable is but I'm guessing its 1.0. That said, the new 25ft HDMI cable I got for the Optoma is 2.1, not sure if this would effect anything either, but maybe these little details can help someone figure this issue out)

Solution
no you can't use the gpu and built in graphics at the same time.

all monitors have to be plugged into the same device. if you're gpu does not have the right outputs, then you'll have to get some adapters. what kind depends on the exact card and what outputs it has on it.

i have 3 monitors plugged into my 1650 super and use an adapter to use the last dvi output with my hdmi monitor. they are easy to find and rather cheap but you need to be sure you get the right one for your usage.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

all monitors have to be plugged into the same device. if you're gpu does not have the right outputs, then you'll have to get some adapters. what kind depends on the exact card and what outputs it has on it.

i have 3 monitors plugged into my 1650 super and use an adapter to use the last dvi output with my hdmi monitor. they are easy to find and rather cheap but you need to be sure you get the right one for your usage.

Solution

cloviswhiting

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019

Alright, that makes sense. However, one issue I still have is my PC not displaying the projector when the projector is the only display plugged in. Any idea why it posts bios and windows but stops after that?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't think the projector is recognized as a true monitor. past experience has been the same as you noted. i think it wants to see an actual monitor to display the output.

at least that's what i ended up doing when i was using a portable one. it needed the monitor and then i could enable the projector.

cloviswhiting

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
i don't think the projector is recognized as a true monitor. past experience has been the same as you noted. i think it wants to see an actual monitor to display the output.

at least that's what i ended up doing when i was using a portable one. it needed the monitor and then i could enable the projector.
So, since my projector has no Display Port, and I only have 1 HDMI for my GPU, would you recommend trying to get a dual HDMI splitter? Or would that cause further issues (like maybe lower quality video or issues or issues with my pc fighting with 2 displays since they're in 1 port)

cloviswhiting

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
i'd go for an adapter to turn the display port from your gpu into an hdmi for the projector.

much less issues than using a splitter and probably a lot cheaper as well. i'm using this one myself and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GMCNNF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

very snug fit so i don't worry about anything coming out of the ports.
Alright, I'll get a DP cable for my monitor and an DP to HDMI adapter for the projector. I'll let everyone know if it works once Amazon ships the parts!